Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Any speculation as to whether a further extension will be given? (FAA licence holders perm resident in the UK having to convert)
I doubt it but we have yet to do one.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Any speculation as to whether a further extension will be given? (FAA licence holders perm resident in the UK having to convert)

People can apply for a one-time 12 month validation, O don't know how many have done so.

Ian
By Sir Morley Steven
G-BLEW wrote:
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Any speculation as to whether a further extension will be given? (FAA licence holders perm resident in the UK having to convert)

People can apply for a one-time 12 month validation, O don't know how many have done so.

Ian

I might be reading the ORS wrong but I thought this ran out on 21st.
By Irv Lee
SteveC wrote:. Its not exactly a difficult conversion.....

Expensive of course, if any have fewer than 100 hours - ridiculous anti-GA rule seeing they are undergoing full skill test.
By Ibra
There is a 28 days per year exemption/validation, about the number of years one tend to fly IFR from his grass strip without planning permission for the runway or licence conversion :lol:
By Iceman
So, simple question, if a UK-resident pilot flying on an FAA standalone licence wants to fly any aircraft in the UK after 21st December, be that N-reg or G-reg, and that pilot has taken no action, can he continue to fly an aircraft of any registration (or is the answer that he can’t fly any) ?

Iceman 8)
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Iceman wrote:So, simple question, if a UK-resident pilot flying on an FAA standalone licence wants to fly any aircraft in the UK after 21st December, be that N-reg or G-reg, and that pilot has taken no action, can he continue to fly an aircraft of any registration (or is the answer that he can’t fly any) ?

Iceman 8)

My understanding is no flying on Part 21 aircraft of any reg. The rule doesn't seem to apply to non Part 21 aircraft (as I understand it).

Ian
Iceman liked this
By Rob L
Will the FAA retaliate?
I regularly fly an aircraft in the USA on the 61.75 rule; the FAA could argue that if the Brits won't play, nor will we and rescind the 61.75 agreement.

I hope not...I've been waiting two years (and spending hangarage & insurance fees) to get back to flying under those rules in the near future.
Iceman liked this
By Iceman
Thanks for the clarification @G-BLEW. I’m on a 61.75 but have a couple of group members who are FAA standalone.

Iceman 8)
By Peter_G
TODAY’S THE DAY . . .
If the CAA remains ‘silent’ today, and does NOT ‘derogate’, as they have regularly done each year in the past, then Sir Morley Steven’s original post is being answered!
At midnight tonight, as I understand it, any U.K. resident pilot who is flying only on FAA papers will be grounded.
He/she will only be able to fly in U.K. airspace provided they possess a current CAA license I.e. with a current BFR and a current Medical (hard to get in these turbulent Covid times).
Even then, they will not be able to exercise IR privileges in Class A airspace unless their IR is converted and attached to their CAA license.
How many pilots are actually flying only on FAA papers, as against an FAA 61.75 license (a ‘piggy-back’ ‘based-on’ their originally possessed CAA license) is a moot point; but there must be some for whom today is the end of the road.
What has happened to the mantra: “Making the U.K. the best place in the world for GA”?
By 2Donkeys
JAFO wrote:
Rob L wrote:Will the FAA retaliate?

A genuine question. Could a US citizen who resides in the US fly regularly in the US on a 61.75?

Yes. The 61.75 contains no time or nationality limitation.
JAFO liked this