Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By RisePilot
- do more turbine flying (R66)
- more group helicopter trips
- go further afield (Norway planned, Iceland maybe)
- do the planned helicopter touring on the Côte d'Azur with the family
- look at some long-distance expedition trips
- it’s all about the memories/photos/video; no targets re hours in logbook
By Miscellaneous
RisePilot wrote:- it’s all about the memories/photos/video; no targets re hours in logbook

That rings true for me. More, much more of similar for the purpose of creating more experiences and memories, whilst having fun doing it! :D

Haven't quite given up on 2021, nor the first months of 2022 quite yet though. This time of year offers up light, clarity and scenery the summer months can't. :D

T6Harvard, StratoTramp, Iceman and 7 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
As I answer this I wonder what I’ll be saying to myself in December 2022 about how much I’ve achieved…

For me I’d like to:

- get a share in something that lets me fly with more friends, loosing 5st could also help with that.
- make a good dent in the 150hour min needed for FIC
- get my IRR

Win the lotto and be the owner of a Kodiak 100 lol.
T6Harvard, StratoTramp liked this
By WelshRichy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hopeful next year is going to be so much better than the last two.

My goals for next year...

1) Maintain my Class 2 medical!!!
2) Become an FI(R) - course and hotel booked for March - 3rd time lucky due to lockdowns over the past two years!
3) Renew my IMC/IR(R).

Potentially....

5) Tailwheel differences training on the Chipmunk.
6) 99.9% sure I won't manage this in '22 but un-restrict the FI(R) so that'll be the start of my list for '23.

Lets re-visit next year and see how much we have all managed to achieve. :D
T6Harvard liked this
By UncleT
I"m hoping finally to get my SEP rating renewed so that I can do some flying that isn't lessons. I've lots of plans to follow that, including taking the kids flying and getting along to some fly-ins, possibly meeting other forumites in the process.
T6Harvard liked this
By Milty
Great post! For me…

1. Carry on enjoying learning
2. Nav trip to my childhood aerodrome Dunkeswell so my parents can see me flying
3. Hopefully get my PPL
4. Be confident and capable to take family and friends up (if they want to)
5. Start thinking about rent vs share
6. Assuming 3 achieved, start on some IR training (basically closing the loop on 1)

FWIW, Celebrations, then a close run thing between Heroes and Quality Street. Roses definitely last place.
T6Harvard, JJMurphy liked this
By Groundspeed
My hopes for next year are mostly to fly more than in the last two years.
To regain some of my competence in tricky conditions.
Then to attend more flyins, I only made one last year. :oops:
To make more visits to interesting places, like Old Warden, Duxford and Stowe Maries (the home made cakes there are something else) :D . Also to revisit some of the super friendly places like Cromer, Fenland & Priory Farm
JJMurphy, kanga liked this
By lobstaboy
flyingearly wrote:Purely out of interest, what are other people's flying-related goals for 2022? Do you set yourself goals and if so, what guides them?

I think I've said this before - I had a road to Damascus moment recently when I realised that goals were spoiling my pleasure because I got cross when I failed to make them. Plus they make it sound too much like work.
So I try very hard to avoid specific things. At the same time it's great to think about what you like to do and to work out how to do more of it.
For me then:
- be at the airfield more (even if not flying) - various things have limited my time over the last few years - for the social side of things
- try to pass on my enthusiasm to as many non-flyers as possible
- be willing to help club members with whatever I can offer
- learn more about maintenance and try to get some relevant skills

I love visiting new places and the occasional "big day out" is great, but really I just enjoy my time in the air seeing the moods of the weather, daylight, seasons and countryside and keeping in practice.
Rob P, T6Harvard liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Groundspeed wrote:Stowe Maries (the home made cakes there are something else)

Goals for 2022? Fly into Stowe Maries again.

I think it's good to have some goals because otherwise you end up just flying for the panini to somewhere you've been 200 times before.

While not having actual goals over the past month or two, I've managed a few things which I'll label goals...Llanbedr and Beccles on subsequent days, giving that coast to coast feeling, going back to Shobdon, going back to Sandown, going back to Leicester, getting back into being comfortable with the aeroplane, including crosswinds, after most of a couple of years out....that sort of thing.
WelshRichy, Ridders liked this
By TLRippon
Goals - Waaaaay more non instructional hours. I'm at that funny point where the repetitiveness of instructing needs a break with some flying which goes beyond Rutland Water every once in a while. Only had my own aircraft out for just under 80 hours this year.
Like to do at least one pan Europe tour in the summer, had to cancel my Albania trip last year so probably get that back on. Friedrichshafen hopefully will run this year but may get Omicron'd.
Want to get another 400 hours of instruction shoehorned in and finish off these bloody CPL exams.
T6Harvard, kanga liked this