Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By brentford77
Folks, I am selling a share of my aircraft at present and have been in conversation with an individual who is in his 60’s, very plausible and has been more than happy to pay costs of a couple of test flights, fuel, landing fees etc and is now interested in taking the aircraft on an overseas trip solo. He says he is about to retire from a well know airline as a training captain.

Some Googling indicates someone of the same name has been involved in some frauds around a decade ago. I don’t intend to name the individual here in case there is no connection but if this post resonates with anyone in relation to a previous similar experience, please do pm me.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As a prerequisite to buying any share, I’d expect to inspect an applicant’s logbook, medical and licence in order to verify their credentials before accepting them into a group. Subject to meeting the other group members, being acceptable to the group, passing a check ride with a designated examiner and coughing up the cash, they’d be accepted into the group. Failing any of these tests would indicate a no-go.

Iceman 8)
By Genghis the Engineer
Some Googling indicates someone of the same name has been involved in some frauds around a decade ago. I don’t intend to name the individual here in case there is no connection but if this post resonates with anyone in relation to a previous similar experience, please do pm me.

Were those frauds in the Channel Islands?

If so, I believe I have met him, and he was interested in trying to buy an AA5 off me half a dozen years ago. My own investigations and interactions led me to conclude that I'd not trust him any further than I could throw him - but yes, very pleasant, very plausible.

G
By chevvron
brentford77 wrote:Folks, I am selling a share of my aircraft at present and have been in conversation with an individual who is in his 60’s, very plausible and has been more than happy to pay costs of a couple of test flights, fuel, landing fees etc and is now interested in taking the aircraft on an overseas trip solo. He says he is about to retire from a well know airline as a training captain.

I've read of many tales like this linked with motorbikes; they arrive and ask for a test run and are never heard from again.
My advice is don't do it.
By LewisC
PM sent. I had was very likely a scam when looking at a 172 a couple of months ago.
By Iceman
We would need to put the person on the insurance before even the check ride, never mind let them lose before being a full member.

Iceman 8)
PeteSpencer liked this
By Boxkite
Charles Hunt wrote:As others have said, a solo test flight in an a/c he doesn't have a share in. Absolutely not.

I can't see in the OP where it says the potential shareholder has asked for this??
By Charles Hunt
Folks, I am selling a share of my aircraft at present and have been in conversation with an individual who is in his 60’s, very plausible and has been more than happy to pay costs of a couple of test flights, fuel, landing fees etc and is now interested in taking the aircraft on an overseas trip solo.

To me that reads that he has done a couple of test flights and has happily paid the relevant costs, and now wants to take it overseas without having purchased the share.
Flyin'Dutch', Rob P liked this
By Sooty25
Charles Hunt wrote:Folks, I am selling a share of my aircraft at present and have been in conversation with an individual who is in his 60’s, very plausible and has been more than happy to pay costs of a couple of test flights, fuel, landing fees etc and is now interested in taking the aircraft on an overseas trip solo.

To me that reads that he has done a couple of test flights and has happily paid the relevant costs, and now wants to take it overseas without having purchased the share.

That's exactly how I read it as well. Not A Chance!
By TopCat
If I was buying a share in an aeroplane, I wouldn't even dream of asking to fly it solo (let alone overseas) until I had either bought the share, or had a very good reason to fly it, and was well-known to the group already.

I have no experience of this sort of thing, but the idea that someone would ask really doesn't compute at all.

I mean, there are plenty of things that I wouldn't take at face value from a person/group selling the share either, but it seems an extraordinary request.
johnm liked this