Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Oldfart
My Group own a Cessna F182 Q. 1980 Reims built, Serial No 0157.
We experienced heavy nosewheel shimmy and traced the fault to split O Rings in the cylinder and loss of fluid. It appears that the F182 has a different damper to the USA assembled C182Q.
McFarlane who manufacture new aftermarket units, apparently don’t make the part for an FR182, and my maintenance organisation are also unable to source the correct size replacement O Rings.
At the moment we are grounded by a lack of a suitable new damper £££££ or replacement O Rings £.

Any ideas to get us in the air again?
I’ve got all the seals/back up rings/o-rings/stat-o-seals for those dampers on the shelf - I look after 2 aeroplanes very close to your serial number.
A quick check indicates all the seals are in stock with the usual suspects - some of the part numbers listed in the IPC need their original AN numbers converting to MS numbers.
These dampers are a bit more sophisticated than the standard ones and have a floating compensating piston inside the main rod. If the damper hasn’t been apart for a few decades then these pistons can be seized and need a few days soaking in mouse milk/duck oil/plus gas - if you can’t free the piston a new rod is ££££…..
The servicing/filling method is also different, it tells you how in the manual.

If you’re still stuck on Monday let me know which p/n’s you need and I can send you some.
Boxkite, irishc180, Ben K liked this
By Trent772
That sounds like a result.....

However, I wonder how many on the forum know what Mouse Milk is :wink:

A most wonderful product that we have used for years and years :thumright:
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I only learned about Mouse Milk when I spannered in the hangar to part-fund my CPL.

I also learned about topping up compasses with alcohol via a syringe and hyperdemic nerdle, Dr Spooner stylee.
By Rob L
Flintstone wrote:...topping up compasses with alcohol ..

Johnsons baby oil is the best compass fluid for permit types.

White whiskey is used by our North American cousins (hence "whiskey compass").