Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JonBoy
I’ve had an email from the “Beacon Registry” inviting me to re-register my 406 MHz emergency locator beacon onto their new system.

It looks very official and pukka but I’m always very cautious about giving details to email links like this (never!). I wondered if others have had the same request and if people think it’s genuine or one of these phishing scam things?
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@JonBoy Coincidentally I bought a new PLB* this week, and as a result of the blurb it came with found the new site. It’s pukka, and the basic details of my existing PLB were already loaded into it, so I took the opportunity to provide the remaining details for that as well as the new one.

* £169.99 plus postage was the best price I could find for a replacement battery for the existing one, which expires next June. At £260 for a new one, half the size and weight with RLS as well, it seemed like a no-brainer.

Top-tip - if you are unhappy that a link in an email may not be genuine, just do a search for the site instead. It was the top hit for me when I searched on ‘Register 406 beacon’ (or something like that :) )
By RisePilot
We can't really give feedback without more detail on what you have been sent. Show us the email sender details.

That said, if a group implements new database software it is very simple for them to use the details already on their existing system. If it's just an update, yes I get reminder emails every couple years on mine.
By patowalker
Just finished registering. All quite straight forward. They found my beacon, but details needed to be re-input.

What happens next
The Maritime and Coastguard Beacon Registry team will check the received application and will be in contact if more information is required.
A registration certificate and proof of registration labels to attach to the beacon, will be sent in due course to the registered beacon owner. If the beacon is activated before receiving these, Search and Rescue will still be able to identify and locate the person(s) in distress.
Well I can't sort it...Tried four times today and it either crashes or I get a 504 Gateway error.
Just tried again and I get:-
'A user with the specified ID already exists. Please choose a different one'.
Tried calling and managed to get through but the nice lady said she couldn't help me and didn't know why it said the above.
She could only suggest I try again another day!...rubbish! :evil:
By MikeW
I get stuck in a loop on the new site. Registered ok, it finds my existing device, takes me through confirming its details and uses, then the continue button takes me back to inputting name etc. There's no finish or complete button. Anyone else had this? Doing it in chrome on Android tablet.
pete2052 liked this