Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dave W wrote:@Paul_Sengupta has been known to fly to the Isle of Wight to do his supermarket shopping just outside the Sandown entrance.

It was when the old (but not that old but burnt down) restaurant was there. I flew down for food on a Monday evening but it was closed, so I went to Morrisons to go to the cafe. I had originally planned to go to Tesco when I got back but since I was at Morrisons anyway, I thought I might as well do my shopping there.

A family at the airfield watching the aeroplanes were most bemused when they saw me arrive with supermarket bags and load them into the aeroplane.

I'm in for a bacon fly-in, as long as I don't have to lug around half a 500lb bomb this time!
Dave W, Iceman, Milty liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
It was one of Flinty's BBQs some while back, it was the BBQ. It was rather heavy with something like 3/4" steel, the bomb being cut in half lengthways. Getting it cooled down so that we could return it after having had hot charcoal in it for a few hours was interesting as well.
I used to be good friends with a chap who owned a small amount of land and - one year - decided he would approach his friends and ask them to invest in pigs. The deal was that they put in some upfront cash with which to acquire and raise the porcines - and some time later they would receive the pig back in jigsaw form.

I forget what he was asking for upfront, but I seem to recall the obstacle wasn't the cost (which was fantastic value) but rather the sheer volume of pig bits you'd get back and lack of storage space for them.
flyingearly wrote:.. a chap who owned a small amount of land and - one year - decided he would approach his friends and ask them to invest in pigs. ...

slightly analogous scenario for 'A Private Function', British comedy set during postwar but still strict rationing era:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Private_Function :)

[seems timely to mention that the JAM cafe had a no-notice inspection from the Tewkesbury Borough Council food hygiene inspector the other day, and kept its 5* rating, which is higher than some posh local commercial eateries get :thumright: ]
patowalker liked this
By Flintstone
Paul_Sengupta wrote:It was one of Flinty's BBQs some while back, it was the BBQ. It was rather heavy with something like 3/4" steel, the bomb being cut in half lengthways. Getting it cooled down so that we could return it after having had hot charcoal in it for a few hours was interesting as well.

That was an interesting episode. :D

In the excitement of having a real bomb casing as a barbecue I forgot that it would take half a day to cool off. I seem to recall a Heath Robisonesque stretcher arrangement involving my car, some wooden poles, a red-hot 300lb piece of steel and a few forumites shuffling a quarter of a mile to the nearest tap.
Paul_Sengupta, Dave W liked this