Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
There is a small helicopter that seems to always transmit ADS-B with the wrong reg as a twin piston fixed-wing.
I noticed this last year and it's still doing it. The owner of the helicopter is also the owner of the twin.
It looks rather odd seeing on a radar site a 'twin' bimbling over a large built up area at 500ft, under the 1500ft step of a major airport, squawking 7000 (therefore not talking to the airport) and not using their listening squawk.
Right now, the helicopter has flown through through the circuit pattern of a small, well known and charted, multi-runway airfield (no radio service there, helicopters not accepted) at 1000ft. Looks like he was using it as a visual waypoint.
Opinions please.
Last edited by Boxkite on Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
He may have swapped transponders between twin and helicopter at some point and not realised that he had to reprogram the new registration in the transponder. Either that or he’s perhaps using a SkyEcho2 and hasn’t configured that correctly when changing his steed. I have been guilty on both counts, once confusing Le Touquet with a borrowed transponder and hence a mismatch of call signs, also confusing Lyon once when I was emitting an Exam call sign on a private flight. I’ve also forgot to change config on my SkyEcho2 when changing between the various aircraft that I fly.

Iceman 8)
AlanM liked this
I reckon it's a skyecho (you'd think those two aircraft would have their own transponders though).
There are flights with the same reg alternating between both aircraft (The twin lands at a strip, the helicopter lands near his home).
Illegal?
Seems like he doesn't care much anyway, if flying through a circuit is anything to go by.
By Flying_john
Are you seeing this via FR24 - or directly with an off air adsb receiver.
If the former - it is a common problem with FR24 that the lookup from Hex I.D to reg can be wrong. For a longtime we had a strip based RV that on FR24 bought up a different aircraft.
Boxkite wrote:Right now, the helicopter has flown through through the circuit pattern of a small, well known and charted, multi-runway airfield (no radio service there, helicopters not accepted) at 1000ft. Looks like he was using it as a visual waypoint.
Opinions please.

I know we are all told endlessly to avoid this and that, but what if this person transmitted on safetycom what he was doing? Is he/she really doing anything wrong by being 'just another aircraft in that circuit'? In fact it could be argued if going directly overhead they are not in the way of anything else that would be lower since they (anything operating from there) would be on climb out or final.

My point being they are just another aircraft that is fitting into that airfield's traffic. If we all avoided airfields then none of us would ever land..............
Gas Guzzler liked this
Where did I say the helicopter fitted in to the circuit? So what you have written is largely wasted time.
If he had transmitted on Safetycom nobody would have heard him as it's not used there. The airfield has complicated circuits and large no fly zones, which he flew through. Do you wish to defend someone flying at 1000ft across a circuit which is 800ft and not following any hint of the circuit or its arrival or departure routes as "not in the way of anything else that would be lower" ?
Last edited by Boxkite on Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flying_john wrote:Are you seeing this via FR24 - or directly with an off air adsb receiver.
If the former - it is a common problem with FR24 that the lookup from Hex I.D to reg can be wrong. For a longtime we had a strip based RV that on FR24 bought up a different aircraft.

Both aircraft have the same owner. They either each have transponders programmed with the same hex or he is using a portable ADSB transmitter between them, Which do you think is more likely?
Last edited by Boxkite on Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
<drift :oops: >

The dH125 Jet Dragon (HS125, Dominie, BH125, Hawker 800, ..) was designed from the outset with an undercarriage suitable for unpaved runways. It was demonstrated from grass in the early days. ISTR reading that it is now one of the bizjet types most favoured by narcotraffickers, since it can use gravel strips carved in South American jungles, and older models can be bought cheaply in the US. There is even one particular false N registration which has been used on several different examples :?

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... unning-jet

Obviously, I'm not for a moment suggesting that the aircraft mentioned in OP's example are being used for any nefarious purpose

</>
By skydriller
Boxkite wrote:multi-runway airfield (no radio service there, helicopters not accepted)

Boxkite wrote:If he had transmitted on Safetycom nobody would have heard him as it's not used there.

No ATZ either I guess? So either the place you are talking about isnt that busy or Im thinking that you are talking about a Gliding or Microlight aerodrome where they use a secret frequency? Were there aircraft scattered left and right?

Helicopters generally have big windscreens for looking out - Cant say Im that perturbed by flying as reported, as much as I am by a fellow pilot studying FR24 to the extent they feel obliged to judge/condemn that flight activity on this forum? Especially knowing how "accurate" FR24 is... at least screenshots & registrations arent involved. :roll:

Regards, SD..
RisePilot, AlanM liked this
Just another 'ooh look what I spotted, must tell the others who will be interested'. We aren't.

Ok so it has a dedicated frequency, perhaps he was on that. Why not name the airfield, what's so secret? I find this avoid at all costs mentality a bit like never stopping at a motorway services cos there are lots of others in there. Mind you that's not a bad thing.
SteveX wrote:Just another 'ooh look what I spotted, must tell the others who will be interested'. We aren't.

Ok so it has a dedicated frequency, perhaps he was on that. Why not name the airfield, what's so secret? I find this avoid at all costs mentality a bit like never stopping at a motorway services cos there are lots of others in there. Mind you that's not a bad thing.

"who will be interested'. We aren't. "
Posting twice definitely shows interest. :D
"Why not name the airfield "
Why is that important? I can give the reg of the two aircraft and the the owner's name if you like, but you'll have to be quick before it gets donked:
Too Late
Anyway, the subject of this thread is in the, err, subject line.