Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
gasman wrote:North Weald and Turweston come to mind as examples of busy mixed GA airfields without the protection afforded by an ATZ.

Did you actually read my post and quotes?? I dont recall Turweston or North Weald being without a radio frequency last time I looked... :roll:

Guess what, not many airfields outside the UK have ATZ at all... :shock:
AlanM, Rob P liked this
By AlanM
There is a small helicopter that seems to always transmit ADS-B with the wrong reg as a twin piston fixed-wing.
I noticed this last year and it's still doing it. The owner of the helicopter is also the owner of the twin.
It looks rather odd seeing on a radar site a 'twin' bimbling over a large built up area at 500ft, under the 1500ft step of a major airport, squawking 7000 (therefore not talking to the airport) and not using their listening squawk.
Right now, the helicopter has flown through through the circuit pattern of a small, well known and charted, multi-runway airfield (no radio service there, helicopters not accepted) at 1000ft. Looks like he was using it as a visual waypoint.
Opinions please.

And

Where did I say the helicopter fitted in to the circuit? So what you have written is largely wasted time.
If he had transmitted on Safetycom nobody would have heard him as it's not used there. The airfield has complicated circuits and large no fly zones, which he flew through. Do you wish to defend someone flying at 1000ft across a circuit which is 800ft and not following any hint of the circuit or its arrival or departure routes as "not in the way of anything else that would be lower" ?

Sorry @Boxkite I would say that your text, in bold, was directed at anything other than the thread title. Something like “Prejudging and Publishing a FR24 track” may be a better title.
Iceman liked this
Back to what I think what you aimed at addressing, the incorrect Flight ID;

It happens a lot. With light aircraft, bizjets and even some commercial air traffic. It is more annoying than just FR24 spotting - as the Flight ID is a certified way of Identifying traffic and coordinating with other sectors. Breat VS/JS mainly (only?) use the Flight ID in coordination.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I remember my Lyon encounter. They were adamant that they were going to call be Echo X-Ray Mike 16 because of the Exam call sign that I was emitting rather than the G-reg in the flight plan. I thought it better to carry on like that rather than reprogram the transponder in flight.

Iceman 8)
AlanM liked this