Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By RobW
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Mr Gupta has just purchased the Motorline group adding 48 operating franchises to his portfolio, He's not going anywhere just yet. It is a concern that the big groups that control the market (BCA, We Buy Any Car) etc. are starting to take over the retail side of the operation, Im sure there should be some anti-competition rules invoked before too long, monopolies are not great for the consumer (or 100 year old family run business)
By XX
“They might just improve the Marshalls name in the motor trade.. They have an awful reputation.”

You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but that is not my experience. I was a large fleet customer of the Marshalls leasing arm* for around 20 years, (I retired recently but my former employers are still customers), and vehicles were acquired principally through the dealer group. The leasing arm performed spectacularly well and the dealers supported them, and us, most satisfactorily.

*previously divested and now owned by an Irish bank
I am unsure what they have actually sold as Marshalls a year or two back announced they were clearing the current motor site to make way for housing.

The number of reservations and completions has continued to rise on phase one of the Marleigh
development, with the total number of dwellings at 547. Construction on phase 1a is expected to
complete in Q1 2022. The demolition and relocation of several franchised car dealerships operated
by the Group’s subsidiary, MMH, as well as properties previously utilised by the Aerospace and Land
Systems businesses, has also begun, in preparation for phase 3 of the Marleigh development

Rob P
RobW wrote:Mr Gupta has just purchased the Motorline group adding 48 operating franchises to his portfolio, He's not going anywhere just yet. It is a concern that the big groups that control the market (BCA, We Buy Any Car) etc. are starting to take over the retail side of the operation, Im sure there should be some anti-competition rules invoked before too long, monopolies are not great for the consumer (or 100 year old family run business)

BCA, WBAC, Cinch, Leaseplan all owned by the same owners. They literally sell the same car over and over again. They are essentially controlling the whole market now, including distribution.
RobW, XX liked this
By Elecy
SpeedBrake wrote:BCA, WBAC, Cinch, Leaseplan all owned by the same owners. They literally sell the same car over and over again. They are essentially controlling the whole market now, including distribution.

I reckon a factor in all this is the likelihood of a change to the agency model for franchised dealers, whereby dealers simply become a point of contact between manufacturer and customer, and are paid a handling fee.

Big changes again in the motor trade, hastened by the last 2 years

Mark
november romeo wrote:What’s the connection to general aviation?

Cambridge Airport has been locally known as 'Marshalls' for all eternity.

I used to cycle to Marhalls age 11 with my corona bottle to buy clear dope for my model aircraft in the 50s then sit on the grass and watch the aeroplanes ( G-AHIZ, G-ANFI, G-AEOI - Tigermoths-they were silver with green lettering then) all afternoon:

The patch of grass I sat on is still there- no 'security' rubbish in them there days.......................... :lol:
kanga liked this