For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Red wrote:Men and women are not the same (Thank heavens), the whole human race would be up the creek if that was so.
I am completely baffled at this modern fashion to ban any language denoting the difference and its got nothing to do with equal rights

It has everything to do with attitudes and it's quite complicated. Some argue that being "gentlemanly" is the answer, but many women feel patronised by that. Women still suffer from predatory males and so on....

An effort to put women and men on a wholly equal footing, doesn't imply that men and women are the same, "equal" and "same" aren't synonyms.
By GrahamB
Oh dear,

Do we have to use ‘Aviatorship’ and conduct ‘Threat and Error Personagement’ when flying now?

(The first is a slightly more serious question than the second)
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
By johnm
seanxair wrote:Is it wrong to say what a load of 'b0ll0ckx' nowadays? Like to know what the woke equivalent is :lol:

You could try " nonsense " or "tosh" both words that don't have more than one meaning in the dictionary entry.... :D
seanxair liked this
By johnm
GrahamB wrote:Oh dear,

Do we have to use ‘Aviatorship’ and conduct ‘Threat and Error Personagement’ when flying now?

Possibly, the three letter combination "man" appears in a number of words where it has nothing to do with human males directly, but not everybody understands English very well :D
By seanxair
johnm wrote:
seanxair wrote:Is it wrong to say what a load of 'b0ll0ckx' nowadays? Like to know what the woke equivalent is :lol:

You could try " nonsense " or "tosh" both words that don't have more than one meaning in the dictionary entry.... :D

I do use these words. I have a scale for stuff that makes no sense.

'Absolute nonsense' > 'Complete tosh' > 'What a load of b0ll0ckx'

:D
seanxair wrote:Is it wrong to say what a load of 'b0ll0ckx' nowadays? Like to know what the woke equivalent is

Bollovaries?

But that opens a can of worms for those who identify as eunuchs. (of any gender)

Rob P
By nallen
My game of bingo that I started on seeing this thread is going very well. I predicted the following:

Someone would invoke "aviatrix" -- bingo. (I had a side bet this would be in the first five posts, but just missed that.) (Gendered suffixes are so last century…)

The word "woke" would appear -- bingo.

Someone would mention "the dictionary" -- bingo.

Someone would say "men and women are not the same" -- bingo.

Devastatingly witty words in which "man" has been replaced by something else would appear -- bingo, bingo.

Language evolves: sometimes easily; sometimes clumsily. (Me, I've been quietly making the texts I edit for a living as gender neutral as possible for the last 30 years.)

For next week's linguistic debate, we could discuss why ships and aircraft shouldn't be referred to as "she" …
Ben K, Melanie Moxon liked this
TheFarmer wrote:Does this snowflake stuff apply to adults too? If so, I can give some great examples of why it’s simply best just to sometimes call a spade a spade.

Yes if you mean your loved ones. No otherwise - I generally find it's best to be blunt.
TheFarmer wrote:Anyway, must dash. I’ve got to hoover out my aeroplane’s vaginapit.

:thumleft: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post of the year!

Rob P
nallen wrote:For next week's linguistic debate, we could discuss why ships and aircraft shouldn't be referred to as "she" …

As a point of order, both ARNE and NADZ were decidedly male. Luckily the chap who is slowly rebuilding the latter has reverted him to his original registration, but I don't think this was as a gesture to wokeness.

XB is gender fluid. I refer to him as him, the Wingco, probably from his many years in Betty's Flying Club, refers to him as her.

nallen wrote:The word "woke" would appear -- bingo.

Disqualified from the game. The word 'woke' had already appeared by the time you startedplaying. It was in the first post.

Rob P
@johnm - I haven't missed the point. In the context of changing airman and airwoman to aviator, you said: "The sentiment is all about not caring what colour, gender or sexual orientation an employee of the RAF"

So, I was asking, in context, how airman or airwoman denoted colour or sexual orientation.

However, as you called a member of the Royal Air Force an "employee", I don't expect you'd understand the service anyway.
A4 Pacific, TrickyWoo liked this
nallen wrote: (Me, I've been quietly making the texts I edit for a living as gender neutral as possible for the last 30 years.)

This is the bit I don’t understand tbh.

We have someone at work who does this.

Edmund Hilary was a man, I don’t get why he shouldn’t be referred to with male pronouns?

Regardless of what you are, (and I genuinely really don’t care), why does everyone else have to be androgynous.

It’s not about men and women is it though, it’s about “the others”, if aviator includes men, women, others, I can see why we will use it.

The trap people fall into is thinking it’s about men and women only.

Once they realise they need a word that includes the others too, it all works.

We need to move on from it being about men and women, if the RAF explained that’s why they are doing it, people would understand.