Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Due to Covid and weather, my Certificate of Experience expired a couple of months ago. I've been trying to arrange a Revalidation flight but the weather has stopped this and the outlook for the next few weeks is not good (I'm in Suffolk)

According to the CAA website 'To renew your rating, you must report to an approved training organisation (ATO) for an assessment to see whether you can undergo a proficiency check to renew the rating immediately or whether you will need to take refresher training first.'

Can I hire an independent flying instructor to do this on my own aircraft? What is included in the ATO assessment?
Last edited by rusty eagle on Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We have a group member who did this recently.

He was told it has to be via an ATO, but you can use your own aircraft.

When he approached 2 local ATOs they said it was possible, but it wasn’t worth it to them unless they used their own aircraft as their instructors were already maxxed out teaching in their own aircraft.
For SEP, as long as the rating has not expired by 3 years or more, the training can be done outside of an ATO by an independent instructor.
However, he must create his own Course Completion Certificate (which can be based on SRG 1107 if he likes) prior to test with an examiner.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cessna571 wrote:We have a group member who did this recently.

He was told it has to be via an ATO, but you can use your own aircraft.

When he approached 2 local ATOs they said it was possible, but it wasn’t worth it to them unless they used their own aircraft as their instructors were already maxxed out teaching in their own aircraft.

Isn't it strange, that when there is more than one way of legally doing something, the caa advice seems to be just push the one that costs the pilot the most.
By Lefty
Of course you can do it on your own aircraft.
At Waltham, I do several reveals per month on private owner aircraft, albeit my time is invoiced through the club (an ATO).

However if you need to do an LPC with an examiner, there are far fewer freelance examiners therefore you might struggle to find an examiner not employed by an ATO.
By Genghis the Engineer
BusheBasher wrote:For SEP, as long as the rating has not expired by 3 years or more, the training can be done outside of an ATO by an independent instructor.
However, he must create his own Course Completion Certificate (which can be based on SRG 1107 if he likes) prior to test with an examiner.

That's news to me, and useful. Do you have a reference?

G
By GrahamB
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
BusheBasher wrote:For SEP, as long as the rating has not expired by 3 years or more, the training can be done outside of an ATO by an independent instructor.

That's news to me, and useful. Do you have a reference?

G

FCL.740 and its AMC.