Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GrahamB wrote:
However, Moving Map technology should not be the sole means of planning or navigation.

Bottom of page 4. Discuss.

Well I did say that it was " almost useful" :lol:
GrahamB liked this
I seem to remember that about twelve to fifteen years ago, in response to a need to reduce the level of unauthorised incursions into CAS, discussions with the CAA and the LAA resulted in the adoption of moving map training into the PPL student syllabus.

I presume this didn't happen. What went wrong ?
Loco parentis wrote: I presume this didn't happen. What went wrong ?

I'd surmise:

Dinosaur attitude within the CAA middle tier

The diversity of systems making standardised instruction and testing impossible

Fast rate of progress as systems develop and innovate

Resistance from older instructors

General lethargy in the ranks of our betters

Rob P
StratoTramp, 2Donkeys liked this
By StratoTramp
GrahamB wrote:
However, Moving Map technology should not be the sole means of planning or navigation.

Bottom of page 4. Discuss.

I think it's just saying trace the route to a map and know how to read it. I have a skydemon subscription (probably a bit premature), I've just been using quarter and half mil maps. Though I like maps because I am a navigation saddo, low land leader etc. Could be more explicit perhaps.

Displays are much better these days, but you used to be able to say that paper had the advantage of being high contrast and visible at any angle :lol:

Maps also don't run out of battery (suppose we have USB).

Although they can get wet. However, if they get wet in the cockpit you may have bigger problems - such as being in the sea.

There are also things like this I guess, unlikely, though I've had my car GPS go completely nuts in the middle of a trip a few times. https://www.wired.co.uk/article/russia-gps-spoofing

Bit of a segue, but I like the presentation of these new safety sense leaflets, the passenger one was similar. It's just a bit more professional than something rustled up in word (I know a lot of them are quite old). Just looks less amateur.

@Rob P "The diversity of systems making standardised instruction and testing impossible" I think this is a big one. Though it's better to have choice in the market.

Will training perhaps come now that you can do your GST on moving map? From what I understand this is a fairly recent change. Might be as they didn't test against it they were less likely to provide training for it. Though not sure this is proper education. Taught to pass the test rather than just taught universally.
By johnm
skydriller wrote: "if all your electronics fail call ATC/D&D" ... :roll:
Only option for IFR,

VFR can get by either with the electronic map and plog if map stops moving and/or paper chart, but it's pretty iffy in areas where complex airspace is present so I would never do it without a service who knew I had no electronic aids.
Last edited by johnm on Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StratoTramp wrote:...
Maps also don't run out of battery (suppose we have USB).

Map also doubles as a sunshade for other devices on a hot sunny day when aircraft parked for lunch somewhere. 8)
Parked in sunshade mode it does not matter if the map is oriented north up.... :lol:

Map is useful for requesting wasp etc to leave the aircraft cabin.
StratoTramp, Harleyatrix, rikur_ and 1 others liked this