Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Oldfart wrote:Surely you mean Track Up!!! The picture out of the window then relates to your screen.
I don't recollect any professional Flight System I have used being North up. Or perhaps that dreadful Smiths system on the Viscount? But now I'm showing my age!

Bingo! But it took more than two hours - standards are slipping ;)
Rob P, kanga liked this
lobstaboy wrote:Bingo! But it took more than two hours - standards are slipping ;)

But only the merest fraction over two hours to get a bite! :lol:

Rob P
lobstaboy wrote:
Loco parentis wrote:During 2010, I wrote a short piece to the BMAA, subsequently published in Microlight Flying...

Note: No mention of 'moving map'.

Did you mean 2010? I don't think correspondence from that long ago has much relevance today. Moving map GPS devices were very unlikely to be available to Microlights then. /snip/

I had a Memory Map (moving map) device in December 08, standard 1/4 mil CAA charts. Logbook entry:- “GPS power busted!! Navex old style”. Enroute to Oban 27-12-08.
Oldfart wrote:..
I don't recollect any professional Flight System I have used being North up. Or perhaps that dreadful Smiths system on the Viscount? But now I'm showing my age!

The (at the time) worldleading (Gloucestershire, of course :thumright: ) Smiths system in the Trident is displayed in the cockpit of the JAM example (a 3B, so probably younger than any Viscount). It's definitely Track Up. :)

[Another thing Viscount and Trident had in common is that the last customer for new ones of each was the Chinese State airline CAAC :wink: ]
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
lobstaboy wrote:
Loco parentis wrote:During 2010, I wrote a short piece to the BMAA, subsequently published in Microlight Flying...

Note: No mention of 'moving map'.

Did you mean 2010? I don't think correspondence from that long ago has much relevance today. Moving map GPS devices were very unlikely to be available to Microlights then.

I bought a Garmin 196 when it first came on the scene, say around 2002?? The GPSMAP III is older than that and I distinctly remember microlights at my aeroclub with them attached... :cyclopsani:

The Garmin 196 still works, its carried to this day as a backup backup on longer trips... :mrgreen:

Regards, SD..
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
David Wood wrote:asking the natives 1) do they speak English; and, if so, 2) where-the-hell-are-we?

Ah, you're thinking of the Fugawi tribe of pygmies.

There was a moving map software package called Fugawi, named after the tribe...

https://www.fugawi.com/

I've used that software and never considered where the name came from. You learn something new every day! :thumleft:
By David Wood
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
David Wood wrote:asking the natives 1) do they speak English; and, if so, 2) where-the-hell-are-we?

Ah, you're thinking of the Fugawi tribe of pygmies.

There was a moving map software package called Fugawi, named after the tribe...

https://www.fugawi.com/

Part of me hopes that the software used in the PAW system is called something like Fugizit.
Paul_Sengupta liked this