Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I think it’s high time moving map technology was introduced into the PPL syllabus.

Students will use it regardless, on solo cross countries for example (we can’t exactly confiscate their smartphones can we)?

So, let’s make sure that they are proficient in its proper use.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Harleyatrix wrote:I think it’s high time moving map technology was introduced into the PPL syllabus.

Students will use it regardless, on solo cross countries for example (we can’t exactly confiscate their smartphones can we)?

They're supposed to be, but guidance on best practice for instructors is minimal - this document may be about it, and far too many of the old guard just don't get the value.

G
seanxair wrote:Why aren't these safety sense leaflets posted out to aircraft owners?

A keen instructor at my flying school (now a training captain) constructed a unit to display all the safety sense leaflets, and kept it stocked up as they were taken.

Rob P
seanxair, StratoTramp liked this
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
Harleyatrix wrote:I think it’s high time moving map technology was introduced into the PPL syllabus.

They're supposed to be, but guidance on best practice for instructors is minimal - this document may be about it, and far too many of the old guard just don't get the value.

G

Who are these old guard types, I’m not sure I’ve come across them.
We teach to a standard set by the CAA, if they want us to change what we teach then they need to change the standard so go and lobby them, convince them that GPS is a better bet instead of moaning on Internet forums.
If it is of any consolation to you I know of few instructors who don’t either use moving map themselves or demonstrate it at some point to their students.
Most flying clubs have had some sort of evening moving map session in the past few years, we are about to have another. I don’t think anyone with half a brain in their head and a sense of self preservation from the airspace awareness course would risk the old methods on their own in todays punitive environment.
StratoTramp liked this
Urban myth rollout time again it seems

GNSS is in the PPL and LAPL syllabus
Students can and should use moving map devices from day one of training
There is no restriction on any flight during PPL training or test using GNSS
All that is currently required is the student demonstrates a DR leg on initial test

Any school or instructor who prohibits solo students the use of GNSS aids is negligent
QSD, T67M, Andrew Sinclair and 1 others liked this
By Dave W
Rob P wrote:A keen instructor at my flying school (now a training captain) constructed a unit to display all the safety sense leaflets, and kept it stocked up as they were taken.

Nowadays printed SSLs are apparently no longer available from the CAA.

If one looks at the pages for the leaflets in the list, they each say "Purchase Copy : Printed copy not available for purchase"
Rob P liked this
Safety Sense Leaflets were just that...leaflets.

If they were called Safety Sense pdfs, they wouldn't have the same audience. I'd be disappointed if they all went that way (especially the Interception Procedures (SSL 11 which appears to have been withdrawn on 3 June 2019 Link: https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalappli ... il&id=1165)

The original is archived here: http://www.ukfsc.co.uk/files/Members%20 ... ignals.pdf

Quite why the Interception SSL has been removed is beyond me.
By johnm
Dave W wrote:How very inclusive. :(

Normally I am, but we’re looking at serious safety issues here and the world now expects that people will have these capabilities and the whole infrastructure in terms of flight planning and execution increasingly needs people to have those skills.
By StratoTramp
To be honest moving map is a downgrade in skill, I just think be able to do both.

I can understand the importance of reducing pilot workload for safety. But I'm not sure it's to do with skill. The point is exactly the opposite - to make it "easy".

I'm a millennial (just) but I think over-relience on tech can make us sloppy.
Last edited by StratoTramp on Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Fellsteruk
Agreed I also like the new style and look forward to the next addition.

I asked my examiner if I could use my SkyDemon on my skills test he laughed and said but that would be cheating.

I guess I could have used it during general handling section but I didn’t ask a 2nd time.

Thankfully i managed to navigate without it lol

I’ll be honest when I first passed my ppl I’d use sky demon and a chart with route marked. Now I don’t bother marking the route but I keep a chart on the passenger seat just in case and always have my printed plog for reference, especially at night.
By PeteSpencer
Rob L wrote:Safety Sense Leaflets were just that...leaflets.

If they were called Safety Sense pdfs, they wouldn't have the same audience. I'd be disappointed if they all went that way (especially the Interception Procedures (SSL 11 which appears to have been withdrawn on 3 June 2019 Link: https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalappli ... il&id=1165)

The original is archived here: http://www.ukfsc.co.uk/files/Members%20 ... ignals.pdf

Quite why the Interception SSL has been removed is beyond me.

This made me go and have a look at interception procedures in the current NATS-AIP-Enroute (Interception procedures:)

I was under the impression that it was mandatory to carry a copy of Interception Procedures in the aeroplane: We have a copy of the years-out-of-date leaflet in the aeroplane marked 'do not remove' in red and I have always carried a copy in my kneeboard.

But I can't find the mandatory carriage of the procedures specified anywhere. :lol:

Have I been wrong all these years or has this requirement been removed?

Askin' for a friend :thumleft:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.