Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
David Wood wrote:.. It included, in extremis, landing and asking the natives 1) do they speak English?; and, if so 2) where-the-hell-are-we?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_chit

I recall from many decades ago visiting the Safety Equipment Section of a RAF Station. They had created a display of contents of Personal Survival Pack contents, which were to be packed into the seat elements of parachute harnesses. It included examples of 'blood chits' for various possible theatres, each with different language selections. I noticed that the quality of printing, especially in some non-Latin scripts, was dreadful, and there were some actual grammatical errors. I rather suspect that they had been drafted many decades earlier, possibly pre-WW2, probably in a hurry, and (badly) reproduced from (bad) initial printing since then without any attempt at revision. I did write to DFS ('Wing Commander Spry') about it, and got an acknowldgement. I hope they were revised, as for a couple of the languages which really needed text revision and reprinting the RAF has been in action in pertinent areas since then. :roll:
TopCat wrote:Out of interest, do they reissue these things if notified of typos?

Anyone spotted the howler on p7? Not that anyone with a brain cell will really be confused by it, but it made me smile.

I didn't....but then again, I'm not very good a proof reading!

What's the howler?
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Agree with Matt that there is no rule saying moving map cannot be used but the fact remains that the standards document (guidance, yes I know) and the examiners handbook (guidance again but written last year) both emphasise no moving map.
It’s an utterly absurd and unsafe situation that we, as flying schools and examiners, are being encouraged by our regulatory authority, to teach and examine unsafe procedures.
The PPl syllabus is below. It’s madness!
https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP%201298%20AltMOC_PPL(A).pdf
David Wood, MattL, MikeB liked this
During 2010, I wrote a short piece to the BMAA, subsequently published in Microlight Flying (not sure why they were chosen) which, among other items, featured a short article on the desirability of teaching moving map navigation as part of the PPL syllabus. I offered to write the tutorial. The following is the reply from the BMAA:

'Through ACEP (ASi Communication & Education program), the Airspace & Safety Initiative, a joint CAA/NATS military effort has commissioned a CD teaching good GPS technique. It will be published soon and the content made available through the ASI website; http://www.airspace.safety.com. In addition, the Royal Institute of Navigation has developed a GPS training syllabus which it will shortly publish. The BMAA is aware of navigation problems and is looking at ways of encouraging better teaching. The forthcoming BMAA Instructors Seminar will focus on this very subject'.

Note: No mention of 'moving map'.
Loco parentis wrote:During 2010, I wrote a short piece to the BMAA, subsequently published in Microlight Flying...

Note: No mention of 'moving map'.

Did you mean 2010? I don't think correspondence from that long ago has much relevance today. Moving map GPS devices were very unlikely to be available to Microlights then.

In any case the current NPPL microlight syllabus specifically INCLUDES the use of GPS devices, both in the theory part and in the flown navigation exercises (although it is very clear that the student must also be competent in traditional navigation techniques).
Loco parentis wrote:Yes, 2010 is correct. Its relevance is to the noble knight Sir Morley's complaint above. It appears that little has changed. I used a portable moving map on a microlite just prior to 2010.

A 'GPS device' is not necessarily a moving map.

Sorry, it's not relevant to Sir Morley's complaint. The microlight syllabus is different to other GA training and in this case is definitely more up to date.
The syllabus for microlights uses the term GPS device, and this is of course understood to include moving map devices.
I was a tiny bit involved in the drafting of the current syllabus for Microlights.

Microlight, not microlite btw
We use the description 'moving map' because it defines and separates. A moving map is a GPS but, a GPS is not necessarily a moving map. Hence the need for accuracy in the descriptions we use. Some, reading 'GPS device' will wonder if it is a moving map GPS - there shouldn't be any ambiguity.

I use 'microlite,' as do many others because it is simple and more direct. A friend of mine who was instrumental in the development of microlite aircraft disliked the word in any spelling. He used, if I recall correctly; MikeRowLite ! I thought it was clumsier than the original.
Loco parentis wrote:Really useful piece of kit.

You sort of missed the point so I edited the original.

Rob P