Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
skydriller wrote:..

I bought a Garmin 196 when it first came on the scene,.. still works, its carried to this day as a backup backup on longer trips... :mrgreen:

My ["hiker's"] GPS II Plus still works, AFAIK (did when I last flew GA). It was bought cheap from the HM 'end of line remainder bin' at a Rally in 1999, I believe. It came with a database of major towns, can be further populated with user-entered waypoints and user-entered routes between them. It displays a 'moving roadway' (of optional widths) along (or track to rejoin) such a route even if not exactly a moving map, as well as current GS and distance/ETA to next WP. Always used with a created route for every landaway since, even since I got first tablet running SD. For local flights I just left it up and running, ready to invoke the 'GOTO' button if needed (handy for ETAs or when needing to call at a particular distance on (re)joining).
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I bought my Lowrance Airmap in 1997.

Clue's in the name! :D

Loved my Airmap 1000. Big screen, easy to read in sunlight, no faffing around with colours. Unfortunately Lowrance pulled database support about the same time as the screen packed up so I went Aera 500 and now SD. The Airmap even came with the full RAM mounting experience which I still use with different adaptors. A quality item.

Bought mine in the USA to save money, too :-)