Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
tailbob wrote:I believe the reason for the two differing PMDs is that the 5700kg one permits a student pilot to be trained for the NPPL in a non Part 21 aircraft, due to the combined effect of ANO 140 and 163, using that PMD. However for Part 21 aircraft, student pilots must have a medical certificate, but licence holders who have previously held a certificate can make the reduced 2000kg PMD but are then limited to LAPL privileges.

I mean that’s all correct, but I wouldn’t say it’s the ‘reason’ there are ‘two’ PMDs - it’s more a product of how the system started limited to non-EASAs and licences and aircraft and then grew into what we now call the Part-21 sphere as well.

The distinction in weight goes back the machinations around the original scope of the project, it was a bit of messy compromise and certainly if it were being done again I think it would be a bit different.

I think people are reading too much into this - the issue round 2000 kgs vs 5700 kgs, the associated medical conditions and the scope of the Part-21 amendment are not directly related.