Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
G-BLEW wrote:Plenty of downsides, next to no upside.

There may be one HUGE upside, and that's if someone on here knows the pilot and talks to them. "Did you fly directly overhead Lasham the other day?" "I don't know, did I?" A discussion follows, and then the pilot obtains a tablet and a VFR navigation app. Then the pilot is now more aware for the future, both of this site and other gliding sites parachute sites, etc. It could save the life of this pilot and also those of a glider crew, and pushing it a bit, third parties underneath.
MikeB, Rob P, kanga and 1 others liked this
By Sooty25
Paul_Sengupta wrote:and then the pilot obtains a tablet and a VFR navigation app.

or he might just start to use the navigation skills he must have once had when he obtained his license!

If he's not using his skills now, don't make him even more lazy. Fix the root cause, don't stick plasters over it!
midlifec liked this
By Flyingfemme
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Flyingfemme wrote:Can give the pax a shock, landing at a grass field the Garmin doesn't have in the database, when it starts shouting "pull up, pull up!".

It can be a bit odd on Sky Demon with the database as well though. I was landing at Cherbourg one day when it warned me of an "airfield ahead". Well, yes, I was landing there. It counted down, can't remember if it was the distance or height or both, until it said "Airfield ahead, zero ft below", or something like that, when I landed.

Never had that. But I do really like the SD facility to put an airstrip into the database as a user point and tell it that it's an airstrip. Garmin allow user points but you can't make it a strip or landing site.