Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By seanxair
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Pete L wrote:Roughly speaking, what's the one-up takeoff distance in a Skyranger? Just thinking about operating from home....hence letpmar trying to flog me an SSDR.

Had one of the original classics one up into my (190m) strip a few years ago. It used approximately half of that taking off and not much more landing. Can't remember for sure but it may have had the 80hp 912 in it.

I can put you in touch with someone who knows them inside out if needs be
By Big Dex
With practice (I write as a former skyranger classic owner), 150m is doable with clear approaches, but 200m would be better. The best option would be a Classic with a 100hp engine for a short takeoff, but many Classics have now been converted to Swifts.
By russp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sooty25 wrote:@PaulSS am I right that the only purchase option now, is factory built microlight? No kit built options, either microlight or ssea?

There is no intention to restrict home built microlights and home built SSEA's are entirely unaffected.
By Big Dex
patowalker wrote:He asked about EuroFOX, I think.

Pete L wrote:Roughly speaking, what's the one-up takeoff distance in a Skyranger? .

Don’t think so @patowalker !
By Sooty25
Big Dex wrote:
patowalker wrote:He asked about EuroFOX, I think.

Pete L wrote:Roughly speaking, what's the one-up takeoff distance in a Skyranger? .

Don’t think so @patowalker !

Just to clarify my original comment, Yes, I was asking specifically about Eurofox.
russp liked this
By tcc1000
Sooty25 wrote:@PaulSS am I right that the only purchase option now, is factory built microlight? No kit built options, either microlight or ssea?

As others have said, no but.. there are a few aircraft for which a kit was made specifically for the UK so you could do the 51% and register under an LAA permit to fly. Instead you can get the same aircraft as a factory-built microlight in the 600kg category instead, with kits being discontinued. This is true for the TL-Ultralight aircraft e.g. Sting S4. The good news is that the price is largely unchanged as pulling bits off of a factory production line and boxing them, providing manuals and support is similar cost.
russp liked this
By PaulSS
@Sooty25
Just to clarify my original comment, Yes, I was asking specifically about Eurofox.

Sorry, Sooty, I missed your question all the way back there :oops:

Yes, the Eurofox is now only being offered as a ready-to-fly factory-built microlight (or whatever that new, fangdangled term was). To be honest, even if they did want to offer it as a kit, as was done before as both BMAA & LAA, there would still be an 18 month wait because the kit was 49% built and comes from Slovakia in the same state as it does to the factory. I really don't think there is any enthusiasm for an amateur-built kit to take up a space that could be used for a factory-built kit.

So far I have experienced little difference in takeoff and landing performance between a 450kg machine and one at 560kgs. Normally I expect a ground run, on grass, in the order of 150m but I've had less when trying and quite a lot less when REALLY trying. I've had sub-100m (from threshold to stopped, not touchdown to stopped) when trying with short landings, with the distance tending more towards 80m when REALLY trying (not at 560kgs, I will admit. I'll have to try that next :D ).