Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PaulSS
With my Eurofox Aviation hat on, I'm copying and pasting this 'letter' only to give the process of upgrading existing microlight Eurofoxes to the higher MTOW the widest dissemination I can:

The BMAA’s TIL 600 instructs people to contact Ascent Industries for full details on the EuroFOX (Factory-built) 560kg MTOW aircraft. We have already had suggestions of some people taking this as an indication that all EuroFOX (factory-built) aircraft automatically qualify for the increased takeoff weight, with no action required. This certainly is NOT the case, so please don’t assume it’s ‘560kgs for all’. Fortunately, most enquiries have been, “how can I do this?”

We have agreed a process with the BMAA, for factory-built aircraft, which will involve the following being carried out at our UK facility, Lukesfield:

1. A re-weigh of the aircraft so a new weight & balance form can be calculated
2. An inspection of the aircraft (with rectification if required)
3. Any modifications fitted recorded in the aircraft logbook and signed off, if not already done
4. Replacement of tyres if required (see below)
5. Fitting of new placards with increased weight and speed data
6. Submission of the appropriate paperwork to the BMAA

Owners will need to bring their airframe /engine logbooks when attending Lukesfield, in order for the new limitations to be recorded. We would also ask that, as far as is safe and sensible, aircraft arrive with only the fuel they need, as the tanks will need to be drained.

All aircraft built in 2021 have been built, weighed and test flown to 560kgs MTOW standard and do not need to undergo the same procedure. For these aircraft the owners will need to send their airframe/engine logbooks to Lukesfield for certification of the higher MTOW, replace existing 450kgs MTOW placards with 560kgs ones (which we will send you) and then provide us with photographic evidence of having done so.

A few aircraft will not be eligible for increased MTOW, for example 80hp Rotax-equipped machines (as they are not included on the new Issue 4 TADs) but we will advise you if this is the case.

For amateur-built kit aircraft, the BMAA require each owner to make individual applications to the BMAAas a Major Modification. They cannot be processed as the factory-built aircraft can. Lukesfield will still be able to offer the weighing and inspections required by the BMAA and we advise using the expertise and facilities of the Eurofox experts. It will be the individual owner’s responsibility to carry out and pay for the Major Modification procedure but we can help you through the process if you choose the Lukesfield option.

The lightweight, ‘microlight tyres’ are not suitable for the increased weight and will need to be changed. These tyres have ’14 x 4’ and/or ‘4,00-6 ind’ written on the sidewalls. They will need to be replaced with larger 6 ply tyres (and new inner-tubes) in order to be able to carry the extra load.

Any airspeed indicator colour bands will also need to be changed by the owner to reflect the new speed limits.

The cost of the process is £250 ex VAT, plus parts. In its simplest form the only parts will be new placards. New tyres will be required, as above, if applicable. Any rectification required will attract further labour and parts costs, as required. The set of placards cost £25. A set of new tyres and inner tubes cost £170 incl VAT

It is important that pilots ensure they meet the requirements of the ANO to fly the heavier aircraft and receive suitable training where necessary, specifically:

“An instructor sign-off is required for the following:
………where a maximum take-off mass of more than 475kg (or more than 495kg if the aeroplane is an amphibian or floatplane) and the holder's previous training and experience has only been in a microlight aeroplane with a maximum take-off mass of 475kg or less (or 495kg or less if the aeroplane is an amphibian or floatplane).

Also worthy of note is the requirement to check with the aircraft insurers for any changes to policies, as a result of the increased MTOW.

We appreciate flexibility will be required to deal with the vagaries of the British weather and incorporating the weight upgrades into the work that continues at Lukesfield but we will endeavour to carry out the process as expeditiously as possible. Please contact Paul Simmonds-Short (eurofoxpaul@gmail.com or 07712 515528) to book your aircraft in for the work to be carried out.
patowalker liked this
By russp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
patowalker wrote:Other properly regulated countries have some requirements that we might not want to follow. For example, ballistic recovery systems are mandatory on German certified microlights,. Do we really want to add that expense to the microlights we import?

Edit: I clearly remember GtE of this parish expressing his view on why German certified microlights required a parachute. :)

The point is that we should be able to accept the German regs (with the brs) OR the Uk one without.. not force a higher than necessary standard on already proven safe aircraft purely to make the peeps at the CAA feel they are justifying their salary. Although it seems from the talk this evening that anything produced in a German factory isn’t ever going to get Uk approval whatever code it’s designed to unless the Uk importer gets the manufacturer approval themselves!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Boxkite liked this
By Sooty25
@PaulSS am I right that the only purchase option now, is factory built microlight? No kit built options, either microlight or ssea?
By patowalker
russp wrote:The point is that we should be able to accept the German regs (with the brs) OR the Uk one without.. not force a higher than necessary standard on already proven safe aircraft purely to make the peeps at the CAA feel they are justifying their salary. Although it seems from the talk this evening that anything produced in a German factory isn’t ever going to get Uk approval whatever code it’s designed to unless the Uk importer gets the manufacturer approval themselves!

So you think it is fair that UK manufacturers should need A8-1 approval and German manufacturers, with no national equivalent, are given free access to the UK market?

Design & production standards
4.11 Factory-built microlights operating in the UK market must also comply with BCAR Section A, and organisations looking to provide microlight aeroplanes into the UK market must hold an approval under Chapter A8-1.
27 Although considerably less onerous than EASA Part-21, these do set minimum standards to ensure an acceptable level of safety which is also highly regarded internationally.
4.12 Manufacturers accessing the UK market will require A8-1 approval themselves, but any EASA or national design and production approvals will be credited in the application. Please contact us for applications for A8-1 approval.
4.13 We are developing a list of known differences between BCAR A8-1 and national design and production codes in other jurisdictions.

Fortunately, the Czechs do have a design and production approval system which seems to be acceptable.
Kemble Pitts liked this
By Red
So you think it is fair that UK manufacturers should need A8-1 approval and German manufacturers, with no national equivalent, are given free access to the UK market?

I always assumed that they did have an equivalent but we weren't prepared too accept its validity.
Im very surprised that they dont, or is it a matter of who decides what "equivalent" means?
By kanga
russp wrote:..purely to make the peeps at the CAA feel they are justifying their salary. ..

any evidence that this is the sole motivation of anyone at the CAA (without entering the technical debate, for which I claim no competence) ? :?
By patowalker
Red wrote:

I always assumed that they did have an equivalent but we weren't prepared too accept its validity.
Im very surprised that they dont, or is it a matter of who decides what "equivalent" means?

From what we heard on the BMAA interview last night, there is no formal production and design organisation approval required to gain a microlight type approval in Germany.
By nallen
patowalker wrote:From what we heard on the BMAA interview last night, there is no formal production and design organisation approval required to gain a microlight type approval in Germany.

Interesting … @G-BLEW How about an interview with a German "MAA" representative to get a view from there? (Or indeed from other European countries.)
By Red
patowalker wrote:
Red wrote:

From what we heard on the BMAA interview last night, there is no formal production and design organisation approval required to gain a microlight type approval in Germany.

Thanks,
stupidly I thought it was happening tonight....was it recorded on youtube or somewhere?

Sorry, disregard above, just seen the link in the News section
By CloudHound
Reciprocity was the word used.

So UK manufacturers would be automatically accepted abroad in those countries we were allowing in, based on National codes.

So it would massively expand the UK industry’s market for little or no effort.

Considering how expensive many of the whizz bang Euro 600kg hot ships are and how affordable our products are, it looked very advantageous to UK plc.
Last edited by CloudHound on Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Genghis the Engineer
Interesting that somebody has coined the term "Light Sport Microlights", remiscent of the situation in 1999 when the 450kg microlight definition came in, but the ANO hadn't been amended, leading to 390-450kg microlights being legally defined for a while as "Small Light Aeroplanes" or LSAs.

G
By SafetyThird
Sooty25 wrote:@PaulSS am I right that the only purchase option now, is factory built microlight? No kit built options, either microlight or ssea?

Skyranger is available as a 600kg kit.
By Pete L
Roughly speaking, what's the one-up takeoff distance in a Skyranger? Just thinking about operating from home....hence letpmar trying to flog me an SSDR.