Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
It’s based around the NXT kit, so not the first flight of type, Genghis is correct.

It is, however, a huge achievement and I’m delighted there’s a Gloucestershire connection. There really is some game changing technology developing and emerging around this project, with real transformational change ahead, much as there was when the Whittle-powered E28 left the ground in Gloucestershire 80 years ago. Roger and Stjohn at Electroflight have put heart and soul into this and should be hugely congratulated, along with Pod, who flew it!

Sadly, while the project built on their airfield broke the record, my former employers, Gloucestershire Airport Ltd., chose yesterday to promote ‘breaking ground’ on their new business park. Ironically, that project will close the runway Project ACCEL first taxied on and severely impact on Staverton’s operational capacity. It could be coincidence, but more likely they’re completely out of touch with what’s happening right under their noses in respect of aviation :(
Flyingfemme, AlanC, kanga liked this
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well, it's not quite an NXT but then I accept it's not a brand new type either. So I shall claim 'honours even'. :D

But more to the point: Great stuff, POD; great stuff, Team. :thumleft: :thumleft:
johnm, matspart3 liked this
peter272 wrote:Can someone please remind me how long the aircraft can stay airborne

That would depend on the use of the available energy. The "battery" has a capacity of 72kWh so the first variable is how much of that can be used.
The powertrain has as nominal rating of 400kW so depending on the mission profile and usable battery capacity the useful endurance could be calcuated.
I semi take it back, I didn't realise that the first flight was also from Boscombe, I thought it was from Staverton. It's not the first flight of the type, but is the first flight of a very significant variant.

Comes down to whether you think it's a new type or not then. I think there's a very good argument that it is. There's not that much of the original NXT in there, but some.

On balance, I'd go with "yes, it is a new type"., therefore it's a new Boscombe first flight. Having spent some years working there, I approve (although have nothing against Staverton).

G
Dave W liked this
That's about 150Wh/kg.

About equivalent to most vehicle battery systems, somewhat poorer than the Geiger and Pipistrel battery systems in energy density which are closer to 200 Wh/kg. I imagine it's relatively weight inefficient because it's designed to be very power efficient.

G