Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It was a RC aircraft strip. The owner's neighbour is probably annoyed enough by them and the prospect of real aircraft using the strip was the last straw.

It is most likely that the report to the FAA was aimed at ensuring the strip was not used by aircraft, rather than punishing the pilot who checked it out.
To answer my own question.

423,000 followers

and his video about his license suspension has had 481,000 views so far.

A quick Google says the going rate on YouTube is currently $5752 per million views.

So to be fair, he’s only made $2000 or so off that video.

But.. that’s just the one 20 minute video.
By TopCat
Cessna571 wrote:
> To answer my own question.
>
> 423,000 followers
> and his video about his license suspension has had 481,000 views.

It would be jeopardising that a bit, wouldn't it, to lie to the FAA about low flying, and then go to YouTube and make the lie even bigger.

It reminds me of Jonathan Aitken's 'sword of truth' libel suit back in the day. That backfired a bit, too.

Trent has quite a lot to lose, here, potentially, with that many followers.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:
> Sooty25 wrote:
> > Personally, if I was based in Reno and was going to visit a mate with a
> > previously unused and challenging strip as described, I'd drive over first.
>
> I think you're applying the Brit way of thinking there. :wink:
>
> If you did in fact live where Trent lives would you maybe think differently? :D

I've seen most of the videos he's done and it looks a stunning place to fly. Maybe I might just have flown out rather than drive, but Google earth is that good these days that you'd know the area and space available long before opening the hangar. I'm not sure a strip that needs multiple passes to inspect would have passed the google view for me.

But, again we are judging a fellow pilot without all the evidence, however on face value it does look like a stitch up.
By TopCat
skydriller wrote:
> TopCat wrote:
> > The relevance of which to Trent's suspension is what?
>
> No complaint = No FAA involvement = No suspension :?:

Ah, so breaking the law is absolutely fine, then, providing no one grasses you up.

That's got nothing to do with justice.

The point is, he may not have broken the law, in which case he shouldn't get a suspension whether someone complains or not.

Can you really not see what the real issue is here? :wall:
skydriller wrote:
> TopCat wrote:
> > The relevance of which to Trent's suspension is what?
> No complaint = No FAA involvement = No suspension :?:

While ago I got a low flying complaint, turns out after rounds of back & forth all was legit but the key takeaway from CAA & CFI was “be invisible” next time :D

It was on ridge soaring with TMG at 300ft agl (with engine shutdown), according to the complainer who was walking along the hill that day (someone who is likely very smarter than the majority of pilots), the complaint on low flying was not for white gliders as they have SERA exemption but for the “yellow aeroplane with propeller”, that one is required to maintain 500ft from me as per air laws !
[usermention=11738]@Sooty25[/usermention], what I was suggesting (I hate using a phone to type) is that bush flying is a different mindset to our mindset. It's 'normal' for Trent, Mike Patey and the other Flying Cowboys to go out and land on rough terrain, gravel bars and mountain tops. I really don't think applying how we think works. :D

I doubt very much he is posting anything that is not genuine.
Miscellaneous wrote:
> [usermention=11738]@Sooty25[/usermention], what I was suggesting (I hate
> using a phone to type) is that bush flying is a different mindset to our
> mindset. It's 'normal' for Trent, Mike Patey and the other Flying Cowboys
> to go out and land on rough terrain, gravel bars and mountain tops. I
> really don't think applying how we think works. :D
>
> I doubt very much he is posting anything that is not genuine.

It is exactly their mindset, experience and techniques that made me question this event. Anyway, no video, no location, we are all guessing.
Sooty25 wrote: Anyway, no video, no location, we are all guessing.

Hopefully we will see the video, however given he does not deny any of the claims about his flying on the day I don't know what it can add. As I read it the whole issue is whether the flying was legal on account of being inspection passes.

Here's a follow up video with some fun flying. including off field landings, and an explanation of Trent's ethos (from about 10.15).

mick w liked this