Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Doubleing right back to the original question…

While my home site Old Park Farm is by any reasonable definition a full on luandry list of strip hazards, there’s plenty of places with a “strip like feel” which are perfectly possible for GA types.

Those I used to enjoy in the Tomahawk include in particular Rosemarket golf course. Also, Bolt Head, Eggesford, Belle Vue. (Devon and Cornwall do form a bit of a theme here)

I’m sure there’re others.
PeteSpencer wrote:I fear these most / his mates are hiding in the trees alongside the strip ready to spoil my entire day :roll:

They get a good buzzing before I land

Note school to avoid on downwind (left), no puppy farms though only ornery. farms

My .308 would solve that problem then there is plenty for burgers and a barbecue :lol:
johnm, Nick, Ibra and 1 others liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Lockhaven wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:You can practice short field technique using a couple of traffic cones beside the runway to give yourself whatever distance you want to touch down and stop between. (It's also a good way of stopping yourself judging the circuit by ground features - if you can displace the threshold a few hundred yards).
But then flying into a farm strip of the same length as you just practiced is something else again...

Couldn't agree more, its all well and good marking out an area on a big runway to practice your short field technique but this in no way prepares you for your first real short field landing on a relatively short strip.

Ain't that the truth.

In addition a lot of strips are that way laid out that you have to have your aiming point not even on the strip, e.g. at our strip it is on the lip before the strip.

And the only way to train that is off airfield as most airfields won't be pleased if you land that short as it will 'upset' the neighbours.
Lockhaven liked this
By Ridders
Lockhaven wrote:^^^^ how do know it was an RV did someone spot it ?
security camera footage, and a witness.
Sooty25 wrote:@Ridders when you are waterlogged, take your windsock down.
Whilst I cannot speak for the owners being just a long term resident here, when closed for fixed wing due runway conditions, certain HEL traffic still make use of the three socks (Air Ambulance etc) and tundra tyre equipt fixed wing residents can still operate as they cause minimal damage to the Surfaces. Finally there is a short winter runway, designed to preserve the main, for certain operations when closed.

It is a simply wonderful place to be based, grass surfaces are kept immaculate. :thumright:
Lockhaven, Rob P, Sooty25 liked this
By Iceman
Some strips have it all. PPR essential in all cases. The first time that I landed here in the late 90s, to my horror, I found that the windsock was tied to the pole and I had landed downwind on what is already a short, rough strip. Lesson learned, be a bit more questioning of the strip operator when calling for PPR.

On a more recent visit, the instruction was to buzz the strip to clear the many tens of residents. They duly obliged and stayed off the strip for at least as long as the circuit to land.

I hadn’t been warned about the larger residents on the strip though, an encounter with which could ruin your day.

Iceman 8)
Ibra, StratoTramp, patowalker and 4 others liked this
For those who still debates what is a “difficult strip” and what is not a “difficult strip”? here is one definition: a “difficult strip” is a place where you have a tough time landing even with engine running let alone dead stick, when the engine quits it’s no brainier to pick large comfortable farm fields nearby than the actual strip :wink:

It will be daft to try to land at Stoke Microlight Site when the engine quits, there are plenty of good farm fields around, even the Thames Estuary looks like a better choice for power off landing :lol: