Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Virtually all covered before.

I always "pretend"that i"m taking off and landing at a short strip.--although i"m based at a hard 1900m airfield.
So in a cherokee 180 always take off with 2 stages--land with 3.-
Have around 120 strips in my log book including 80- in Lockyers
My advice would be.
1---know you aircraft
2--practice on longer runways/airfields.--aiming for a landing point.
3--do your research--lockyers--google earth-copy of area--utube for videos of landings/departures of fields. Obstacles when landing/departing.
4-you can use google earth to measure your take off and landing performance.
5 always check wind , field conditions and ideally talk to owner--obviously always PPR.
6--check weight/fuel---fly solo or 2 up.
7--thorough briefing from field owner.
8--Again as said if in an area where you might visit-go and have a look at strip and where poss have a chat to owner.
A bonus for strip flying is of course if you were unfortunate to have an engine failure your chances of having a positive outcome are increased.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Going back to page 1...

David Wood wrote:There are any number of poo-traps set to caught the unwary.

A friend and I used to fly into a friend's strip many years ago in our group 172. It was just a part of his cow field, and when using it to take off and land he would put out a section of electric fence to keep the cows off. However when not being used, the fence was taken away and the cows could keep the grass mowed.

However the cows did also lay some poo-traps. My fellow 172-er once spent a whole afternoon washing the damned stuff off...
Not gone back through 8 pages, but a bit of experience........

Arrived at the strip one spring. No Hangarage available, park outside, fabricate some basic covers. Turn up, undo tie downs, take off covers go flying. Lovely.

Move a/c away for the winter, return next spring. But now hangarage is available - expensive in the SE - but that means no need to move the a/c come winter as she will be secure and weatherproof. Into the hangar she goes.

Unfortunately in a packed hangar there can only be one or perhaps two aircraft at the front. So if you've not flown for a few days, and tend to fly whenever some suitable weather appears rather than on a specified day at a specified time you can find five or six a/c that have to be moved to get at your pride and joy.

Moving several a/c out of the way, and then having to put them back again does my back no good at all, and certainly takes the shine of the thought of a quick bimble.

So in short if moving to a strip how easy will it be to get your a/c out and airborne?

Some places have a line of more or less secure covered areas where you can pull each a/c straight out - great; but if your stuck at the back of a group hangar, with several a/c in front and no assistance available............
By PeteSpencer
Lockhaven wrote:
cotterpot wrote:.....and owning the hangar (4 places) so that your aircraft is always at the front - priceless :D :thumright:

Owning the hangar and the airstrip with only your aircraft in it, now that is more than priceless.

Owning an airstrip (with a hangar containing solely your aeroplane )that is flyable all year round and has never ever been closed for weather ( except deep snow) is off the scale of pricelessness. :lol:

Indeed the aeroplane is flying as I type :wink:
Rob L liked this
Having a WW2 hangar, about the size of a football pitch, with only four aircraft in it and still at £6 per week. Lighting, power points all over the place too, and inside a security fence - covered by CCTV.
patowalker, Charles Hunt, AndyR and 4 others liked this
By AndyR
Bill McCarthy wrote:Having a WW2 hangar, about the size of a football pitch, with only four aircraft in it and still at £6 per week. Lighting, power points all over the place too, and inside a security fence - covered by CCTV.

That’s Top Trumps won for you then, Bill :thumleft:
Charles Hunt liked this
Tony Y. wrote:Hangar access reminds me of the one at Seething which has a turntable to make it easy.

Years ago now I made my only trip to Seething. Cafe had just closed but the person running it insisted on turning the fryer back on for me. While it heated up he dragged me off to see the (then new?) turntable, before making me the best chips I’ve ever had an an airfield. Happy days.
Sooty25 liked this