Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:
> At a FC in USA at which I was once based the hazard was deer, especially near dawn or
> dusk :)

That was a perennial issue at Bourne Park, having forestry alongside. I think the most I ever saw was six on the runway and two off to the side.

I had to chase geese off the runway at Glenforsa once.
We have the occasional deer visitation at our strip in Essex. I have once had a go around as a grazing herd remained on the runway, that though was not as damatic as the experiance a visiting flexwing had. He'd flown a nice standard circuit undoubtedly seeing the small herd on field bordering the runway. What none of us had seen was a single animal on the other side of runway. As he rounded out the solo deer bolted to rejoin the herd. A mighty burst of power and the suprised visitor zoomed over the beast and went around, not what you normaly expect.
By Iceman
It’s not solely a strip problem either. Accelerating down 20 hard at Shoreham, I thought to myself “they’re bloody big rabbits sat by the side of the runway”. As I got closer, it became apparent that they were actually small deer. Fortunately, they didn’t move. I duly reported them to ATC, which with binoculars out, admitted that they hadn’t seen them.

Iceman 8)
At Ottawa International there were lots of groundhog families on the grass areas, especially near the older shorter runways where the GA aircraft and FC were. Fortunately, they rarely moved far or fast, nor were bothered by passing aircraft :)
One of my favourite memories is when learning to fly at Hanningfield, unfortunatly no longer there, in a Chevvron.
We completed our checks and entered the runway, part way along there stood a very smart cock phesant. I expected him to lift off as we powered up pointing at him, or at least scuttle to the long grass but no, he just seemed not to notice us. Now those amongst us that are familiar with the Chevvron will know powerful roars and mighty accelarations are not what are expected but even so being totaly ignored was a bit unexpected. I sat waiting for it to make a fluttering exit as we drew closer, but no. Closer and closer and eventualy it looked up strolled to the runway edge where it turned and watched as we passed.
Up we went and a into a climbing turn to avoid a possible objector and I looked back along the runway, the darn thing was back eating again. That was one cool bird although I didn't give a lot for its life chances near any road.
T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
The wood pigeons at White Waltham are like that too. I got back yesterday and taxying back towards the hangar there were 5 of them in front of me.

They didn't move until I lost sight of them under the aeroplane, and then just hopped a few feet away. They did this several times before hopping away to the side as I went past.
Iceman wrote:
> Embedded pictures don’t appear to working at the moment, otherwise we could
> see the picture of the herd of deer stood on the runway at Lundy during my
> last visit.
>
> Iceman 8)

Wow! What condition is the runway in? Do you ever get problems with mole hills or similar? Dung?! Is it regularly maintained??
Iceman wrote:
> For my non fly-in visit this year, we shall be staying for the first time
> so that we can really appreciate the peace and tranquillity of Lundy at
> night. After getting chucked out of the single pub at closing time, you
> have 30 minutes to get to your accommodation before the island generator
> goes off and you’re then on torchlight :shock: !
>
> Iceman 8)

There won't be much tranquility if there happens to be a group of bellringers in residence!

They don't chuck you out of the Tavern, they just board up the actual bar, and you can stay in the building for as long as you want - and they've no objection to selling you multiple pints to line up. Campers sometimes sleep in there in inclement weather. (Drunk bellringers sometimes sleep in there because they are too **** to find their accommodation.) I believe that Old Light ale is actually Tribute.

You will definitely want a torch, especially if you intend to get a curry from the North Light Tandoori.*

*It has been known for the staff to convince visitors who have not yet made it to the North of the island that there is a curry house up there.
Nick, Iceman liked this
By TopCat
Ok, not a strip, but I thought I'd give a shout out for Oaksey Park Airfield, a few miles south east of Kemble.

I went there today - it's just lovely. 900m or a bit more, grass super smooth, tea/coffee and cold drinks available, a tenner for the landing fee. Quick response to an emailed PPR request.

They have fuel available, their own frequency, and you can sit outside the clubhouse and watch the aeroplanes come and go. I saw a Stearman depart shortly after I arrived, and then a beautiful Luscombe turned up.

No food available, but it would make a very nice place for a picnic.
T6Harvard liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:
> Deer live in a small wood alongside our strip.
> If I see one in the field alongside the strip I flush 'em out with a low
> pass and make sure they don't stop running................
> Has worked so far.
> (I'm gonna regret saying that). :roll:

500ft ICAO rule exists everywhere

Trent Palmer?

A similar case was prosecuted by the UK CAA many decades ago at a strip in the Midlands. The accuser? A former RAF pilot fishing in his pond, apparently :( .