Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By flyingearly
Paul_Sengupta wrote: **** happens, and when it does, it can be very quick and very unforgiving, and as a low time pilot you may not have the skills to sort it out as quickly as it happens.

I know it's a bit of an old chesnut, but I really do love the saying that 'life is a terrible teacher: it gives you the exam before it teaches you the lesson'.
T6Harvard, Supercat, Sooty25 and 1 others liked this
By Rob L
Nairobi Wilson airport.
I know this is continuing thread drift; so I apologise, but history needs to be told.

In 1981 (40 years ago) I was 18 years old and hitch-hiked in a DC-3 (it might have been a KingAir...they all looked the same back then) from Wilson airport to some private strip just over the Sudanese border (now South Sudan). The aircraft was delivering a replacement alternator (or generator) for a stranded aircraft.

I walked back to Lodwar, and then hitch-hiked by road back to Nairobi. Took me three weeks.

The Masaii were just the most friendly people you could wish to meet.
T6Harvard, Hooligan, Milty and 2 others liked this
By Rex123
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Rex123 wrote:I completely acknowledge that his own errors cost his life, most especially the shoulder belts. I honestly don't know why he didn't like wearing them; I suspect he thought they restricted movement as someone mentioned, but yes, obviously a fatal mistake in this case.

Did he wear them when he took you flying? Did he insist you wear yours? It's quite a fundamental thing in a very unforgiving environment.

Paul - thank you for the balanced post.

Unfortunately, the answer to the questions are no and no. Not being a pilot myself, if I'd realised how important shoulder straps are... but that's a can't change the past kind of thought I try to avoid.

Anyway, thanks again.
By Loco parentis
May I ask ? Does anyone know whether the unfortunate pilot was in the habit of always using a check list ? I haven't seen this previously mentioned. The answer might help to understand further the pilots attitude to precise care and attention.
By Hooligan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
ozplane wrote:Hooligan, a quick glance at my logbook shows it was AJI from the Wilken fleet and apart from getting muddy there wasn't any damage...phew. Funnily enough I'd been to Keekerok game park in it the previous week.

:thumleft:
By Rex123
Loco parentis wrote:May I ask ? Does anyone know whether the unfortunate pilot was in the habit of always using a check list ? I haven't seen this previously mentioned. The answer might help to understand further the pilots attitude to precise care and attention.

When I flew with him he was meticulous with them. Pre-flight, pre-start, pre-taxi, pre-takeoff, pre-approach, pre-landing, etc. All from the written ring binder pad thing (sorry for the lack of correct nomenclature!). We pretty much flew a circuit of Lincolnshire (Gamston to East Coast, south to an airfield stop in North Norfolk, back via Belvoir and Newark), including crossing a military airspace which he got the correct permissions for, and he also was changing to the local radio frequencies, etc.
By Rob P
We survivors all know that mumbling through a check list, and actually checking are two different things. The poor guy was never to gain sufficient experience to realise this.

Rob P
AlanM, Sooty25, MikeB liked this
By PeteSpencer
Rob P wrote:We survivors all know that mumbling through a check list, and actually checking are two different things. The poor guy was never to gain sufficient experience to realise this.

Rob P

The guy , Ryan I think he's called ,who posts regularly as Missionary BushPilot ,com on bush flying on youtube and flies a Turbine Kodiak in PNG has a natty little checklist 'box' on his coaming with labelled switches representing whether am item is checked off by f-l-i-c-k-i-n-g (bloody auto-donk)the switch.

A glance along the row of switches shows if anything is missed and I guess the physical act of 'switching' reinforces the act of checking slightly more than merely glancing at a checklist.

It's unconnected to the a/c systems and being on the coaming keeps 'eyes out' when threading through mountains covered in jungle.

Snip at 99bucks from his website (a bit more for an illuminated one).

https://www.missionarybushpilot.com/avi ... cklist-box

Might have been tempted but for the fact that I am seriously OCD to the point of anality on checklists anyway......
A le Ron liked this
By Rob P
It's the first time I have seen that. My instant thought (apart from "Oh look, more coaming clutter") is that there must be a danger of clicking the little switch, rather than doing the action? Still, it would appear he has been using it for some time so maybe I am wrong?

I gave up on checklists long ago and now just use the simple right to left progress check. But then ours is a very simple aircraft.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
Rob P wrote:It's the first time I have seen that. My instant thought (apart from "Oh look, more coaming clutter") is that there must be a danger of clicking the little switch, rather than doing the action? Still, it would appear he has been using it for some time so maybe I am wrong?

I gave up on checklists long ago and now just use the simple right to left progress check. But then ours is a very simple aircraft.

Rob P

Watch one of his videos as he does his checks: Shows how simple it it: Its actually placed almost centrally on the coaming.

Really needs more changeable faceplates to cope with e.g. retractable gear and c/s prop.
Only GA catered for is C172 and ilk.
StratoTramp liked this
By MattL
Loco parentis wrote:You wouldn't catch me at or in the same airfield never mind the same aircraft with someone who checks from memory !

Best hope you never have to visit a military airfield or fly in a military aircraft then
Rob P, JAFO, lobstaboy and 1 others liked this
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Rob P wrote:It's the first time I have seen that. My instant thought (apart from "Oh look, more coaming clutter") is that there must be a danger of clicking the little switch, rather than doing the action? Still, it would appear he has been using it for some time so maybe I am wrong?

Rob P

It is a standard fit on all MAF aircraft I believe.

Ian
Rob P liked this
By GrahamB
Loco parentis wrote:You wouldn't catch me at or in the same airfield never mind the same aircraft with someone who checks from memory !

You are at liberty to decide on your own risk thresholds, of course, but IMO that’s a pretty daft generalisation.
Rob P, PeteSpencer, TheFarmer and 7 others liked this