Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I don't think this thread is saying 'no check lists is a bad thing':

Although I am anal about a written checklist as part of pre takeoff checks. once the wheels leave the ground the printed checklist goes in the side pocket.(where I can easily find it if called for, for back-up)

All the ETAFO and other emergency stuff (fire, engine out, etc) is programmed into my brain , as are the enroute, approach and pre-landing/final checks. :wink:
T6Harvard liked this
By MikeE
People may want to read 'The Checklist Manifesto' by Atul Gawande for an in-depth discussion about the benefits of using checklists. Approached from a medical/surgical perspective, but points to applications elsewhere including aviation.

Regards

Mike
By Crash one
I don’t have a written checklist for the Emeraude, I wrote one once but it was so long I gave up and now work on:-

E——-engine
A——-airframe
S——-safety
S——-security

From memory and a think.
By Dave W
@MikeE, far as I see the discussion is around written checklists rather than checklists per se.

A nemonic* is a checklist, just not a written one.

Atul Gawande's book is excellent, I agree.

*Stolen. Ta.
By MikeE
Dave W wrote:@MikeE, far as I see the discussion is around written checklists rather than checklists per se.

A nemonic* is a checklist, just not a written one.

Atul Gawande's book is excellent, I agree.

*Stolen. Ta.

Absolutely, but the benefits of written checklists discussed in the book apply, I think, equally to memorised checklists. Like others, I use a written checklist pre-take off but have a memorised checklist for in-flight and approach/landing.

Best wishes

Mike
By Bill McCarthy
I’d mentioned previously that a boats pre-critical check lists, and there are about twenty of them, all signed for, take 12 men two days to complete before control rods are pulled. But once it’s up and self sustaining, then, everything beyond that HAS to be committed to memory - it’s why we do endless hours on the shoreside simulator ( and the room, on hydraulic suspension legs is thrown about to simulate rough weather) when in for maintenance. In addition live plant drills are carried out at sea to keep everyone on their toes.
kanga, MikeB, T6Harvard liked this
By MikeE
So sorry @Dave W , not sure how we got here! I wasn't arguing or suggesting anyone said checklists are a bad idea. All I was trying to do was point to a book that provided some reasons why checklists (of whatever flavour) are a good idea. Apologies if I appeared to suggest anything different

Best wishes

Mike
Dave W liked this