Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By welkyboy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Iceman wrote:No, not Jersey, but a logical call.

Iceman 8)

Having flown from Jersey for over 40 years I’m pretty sure it IS Jersey, this was taken before 27 was extended eastwards and that road that leads towards the threshold was extinguished(tho a short section is still visible)
Iceman liked this
By welkyboy
Rob S wrote:Hi All

Back again. Get your deerstalkers on.............

I was given a set of slides from the 1950s and 1960s to identify and have done them all except this one. It is almost certainly taken from G-AKRN a Dragon Rapide on a pleasure flight. This aircraft did operate out of Southend but I don't think this is Southend in the picture. It is more likely to be a military base which had an air display although I am guessing that.

Somebody will know, long tarmac runway straight into the sea (not Caernarfon) and I suspect it no longer exists.

Look forward to hearing from the super sleuths and hope you are all well.

Rob S

Bizarrely I flew in GAKRN from Southend to Rochester in 1958 on a scheduled service with Channel Airways.
By Iceman
I had been pondering the Jersey sat pictures, but couldn’t reconcile that picture with the current Jersey. I was swaying though on the basis of what looked to be the cream coloured terminal and the tower which is just visible in the sea. But that 27 threshold end and that road just looked too different to now.

Iceman 8)
By johnm
Having had a chug around I’d say Jersey or Granville 60 years ago would be favourite Jersey aero club might help nail it
AlanM liked this
By Hooligan
Iceman wrote:No, it’s not St. Mary’s, the surrounding topography is all wrong for there and the runway is flat in the picture.

Iceman 8)

I can see clearly now the laptop's on!

(and I'm back home...) :D
By AlanM
Jersey was my first thought - shape of the bay for me.

Former ATCO colleague and Jerseyman 100% sure it is Jersey - possibly in the early 1950s. He is going to check what year the runway was extended…. As we think St Peter’s church is visible. (The church is now close to the 26threshold)

Loads of History on EGJJ (and all the of the Channel Islands) here;

https://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Aviation_picture_gallery
Last edited by AlanM on Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Iceman liked this
By JAFO
While there are many aspects which do tie in with Jersey. From the original photograph, the threshold looks much closer to the water than is the case in Jersey and looking at old photographs, I can't see any trace of that road that appears to head towards the runway before veering off to the left.

Now fascinated to find out where it is, though.
AlanM liked this
By Hermitageclose
PaulSS wrote:Wondering if it's HMS Daedalus/Lee-On-Solent before it got built up.

I believe that it is very unlikely to HMS Deadalus (RNAS Lee-on-Solent), the two other cross-wind runways are missing, plus from the position of the aircraft HMS Collingwood would have been clearly visible?
By AlanM
JAFO wrote:While there are many aspects which do tie in with Jersey. From the original photograph, the threshold looks much closer to the water than is the case in Jersey

I don’t disagree with that, but this more recent picture shows that the drop and perspective can be an illusion…. The distance in blue from the 08 threshold to the waves is (tide dependant!) almost the same as the distance in red from the 08 threshold to the 26 threshold.

JAFO liked this