Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob S
Hi All

Back again. Get your deerstalkers on.............

I was given a set of slides from the 1950s and 1960s to identify and have done them all except this one. It is almost certainly taken from G-AKRN a Dragon Rapide on a pleasure flight. This aircraft did operate out of Southend but I don't think this is Southend in the picture. It is more likely to be a military base which had an air display although I am guessing that.

Somebody will know, long tarmac runway straight into the sea (not Caernarfon) and I suspect it no longer exists.

Look forward to hearing from the super sleuths and hope you are all well.

Rob S
AlanM liked this
By Rob S
I think Granville is close but no cigar, the roads don't quite match and there isn't (on Google maps) that little village to the right of the threshold as approaching in the photo.
By Sooty25
Rob S wrote:Yes I am, that is where I have had to photograph a 35mm slide and those are the boundaries of the slide!

:lol: :lol: :lol: I see it now, that did make me laugh!
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I had a look on Google maps too. Is it possible that the airport was there and the roads and village nearby are more recent developments? That said I'm not absolutely sure the runway angle to the coast is right but difficult to tell.....
By Hooligan
Can't see it too well on my phone but is it St Mary's? Use to be Rapides operating from Lands End across to the Scillies... Not sure when it got the hard runway though.
By Iceman
No, it’s not St. Mary’s, the surrounding topography is all wrong for there and the runway is flat in the picture.

Iceman 8)