Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By vintage ATCO
Rob S wrote:Okay here you go, I think this is easy unless I have got it wrong but for a bonus couple of points from which liveries are the DC7 and Ambassdor wearing?

Strictly, it is London Airport; it wasn't called Heathrow until 1966. The hangar above the DC7 is the old Fairey hangar (had 'Hunting Clan' on it when I visited LAP). Although Fairey were evicted from the Great West Aerodrome in 1947, when they were allowed to use Heston Aerodrome for flight testing, because of legal wranglings over compensation, the hangar wasn't demolished until 1964. I think at one time it was used as the fire station.

I agree, DC7 SAS, Ambassador BEA.
By Trent772
Used to fly BKS from Yeadon to Guernsey every year when I was a lad. Nearly always got up front - think that is what started it, that and going to the gym and seeing another man naked....... :clown:

Going to Jersey on Wednesday - should be a grin.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Hooligan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
vintage ATCO wrote: the hangar wasn't demolished until 1964.

That's interesting, I'd swear I remember it from my first "spotter" visits in 1975. Probably actually recalling photos like the ones above - amazing how unreliable one's memory can be....
By AlanM
Trent772 wrote:Used to fly BKS from Yeadon to Guernsey every year when I was a lad. Nearly always got up front - think that is what started it, that and going to the gym and seeing another man naked....... :clown:

Going to Jersey on Wednesday - should be a grin.

Watch out for the 727 in the cct. Unless you are in the 727…..! :lol:
By BoeingBoy
G-AKRN was first registered in 1950 and was destroyed in 1973. It was only ever registered to East Anglian Flying Services (becoming Channel Airways) at Southend so my guess is that the field has to be somewhere in the South East or East Anglia if it was a pleasure flight.
By Dominie
Hooligan wrote:
vintage ATCO wrote: the hangar wasn't demolished until 1964.

That's interesting, I'd swear I remember it from my first "spotter" visits in 1975. Probably actually recalling photos like the ones above - amazing how unreliable one's memory can be....

I think Vintage ATCO is referring to the fairly small hangar just off the far side of the apron (which I don't remember being), but the "Hunting Clan" hangars I remember were on the south side of the airport (just out of sight, top right of the Ambassador photo). These are probably what you remember, Hooligan. They painted out "Clan" on one but the "Hunting" remained for a good while - and (IIRC) the word "Clan" started to reappear as the top coat faded.

It's all so long ago...
By Hooligan
Yeah, those on the SE side of 28L (as was :D) were Pan Am's maintenance base and the Hunting hangar which became Fields where all the biz jets lived; the site then developed as T4. But I do recall the hangar between 25 and The Queens Building - but it has to be memories of pics in books/magazines rather than the actual hangar! If it was demolished in '64, I was only just begun and didn't go to Heathrow at all until 1969 when we moved to Nairobi, courtesy of a VC-10!
By vintage ATCO
Dominie wrote:I think Vintage ATCO is referring to the fairly small hangar just off the far side of the apron (which I don't remember being), but the "Hunting Clan" hangars I remember were on the south side of the airport (just out of sight, top right of the Ambassador photo). These are probably what you remember, Hooligan. They painted out "Clan" on one but the "Hunting" remained for a good while - and (IIRC) the word "Clan" started to reappear as the top coat faded.

It's all so long ago...

I think you are right, on both counts!

I went to the book where I thought I had read it but it wasn't there so it must have been something I found on t'internet awhile ago.
By Dominie
vintage ATCO wrote:I think you are right, on both counts!

I went to the book where I thought I had read it but it wasn't there so it must have been something I found on t'internet awhile ago.

In fact last night my mind dragged out a memory of the small hangar you mentioned: at one time it had a large sign on the side advertising "New York £135" (or some similar figure) with (I think) Pan Am.

However, as a regular visitor to LAP (mainly 1962-1972), I recall the Queen's Building very well. One of those times when the Beatles flew back from the US, I was on the very top platform, feeling quite annoyed by all the people crowded there!
By PeteSpencer
Rob S wrote:Okay here you go, I think this is easy unless I have got it wrong but for a bonus couple of points from which liveries are the DC7 and Ambassdor wearing?

BEA livery for the Ambassador which they named 'The Elizabethans'

I flew LHR to Bordeaux direct Jan 1957 in ' Elizabethan' - Sir Francis Knollys- funny how the name stuck but the reg didn't.

Noisiest bumpiest ride I've ever had ,in winter across the Bay of Biscay low level with sleeve valve Centaurus throbbing away by my right earhole.......... :roll:

I've put many hours in stewarding on the Duxford DAS Airliner collection Ambassador: amazing how primitive short haul air travel was in those days.

Mind you 3 months later I flew Paris-London in a BEA Viscount and the difference was off the scale. This schoolboy was able to confirm BEA's boast that a threepenny bit could stand on end during the flight.............. :roll:
By vintage ATCO
Dominie wrote:However, as a regular visitor to LAP (mainly 1962-1972), I recall the Queen's Building very well. One of those times when the Beatles flew back from the US, I was on the very top platform, feeling quite annoyed by all the people crowded there!

Me too!!! :lol:
By AlanM
Rob S wrote:Thanks for all the replies I have put this together which almost matches up, particularly if the runway has been shifted!

Rob,

I have done some more digging with a local historian and airfield engineer who installed the ILS. In this picture, the yellow dot is the current 08 Localiser location just east of the then 27 threshold, with the green dot being St Peters church. 1959 is the best guess for the original image. PS they loved seeing it so thank you!