Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Sooty25
I wonder of they have a data recorder to help establish what fails. I'm sitting here thinking it would be a good idea to attach it to the pilot, so it goes with him when he ejects. A sort of MOD version of a USB stick that unplugs as you leave.
Sooty25 wrote:I wonder of they have a data recorder to help establish what fails. I'm sitting here thinking it would be a good idea to attach it to the pilot, so it goes with him when he ejects. A sort of MOD version of a USB stick that unplugs as you leave.

More likely to have telemetry similar to the F16, as well as data recorders.
Sooty25 liked this
By PaulSS
They already know what caused the problem and it was not technical, nor did it have anything to do with the design of the F35 (or the improvements over the Harrier). Apparently the pilot didn't even get wet :thumleft:

It's good that it is not a problem with the aircraft or its design. It's bad what simple thing caused the loss of such an expensive asset.
Lockhaven, kanga liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PaulSS wrote:They already know what caused the problem and it was not technical, nor did it have anything to do with the design of the F35 (or the improvements over the Harrier). Apparently the pilot didn't even get wet :thumleft:

It's good that it is not a problem with the aircraft or its design. It's bad what simple thing caused the loss of such an expensive asset.

Go on then, spill............... :wink:
By lobstaboy
PaulSS wrote:They already know what caused the problem and it was not technical, nor did it have anything to do with the design of the F35 (or the improvements over the Harrier). Apparently the pilot didn't even get wet :thumleft:

That implies it was human error, then. I want my £2 back in that case.

(PS I suppose could be bird strike?)
Sooty25 wrote:I wonder of they have a data recorder to help establish what fails. I'm sitting here thinking it would be a good idea to attach it to the pilot, so it goes with him when he ejects. A sort of MOD version of a USB stick that unplugs as you leave.

So in the event of an ejection behind enemy lines the enemy dont have to sift through all the wreckage, just ask the pilot "nicely" to hand it over?
Seems unlikely!
By gaznav
The interesting thing about the F35B STOVL is that it has an auto-eject capability enabled for the Mk 16 bang seat. If the lift fan starts to wind down, that is running from the rotation of the main engine, then the aircraft will quickly pitch about its axis - so there are certain parameters that will fire the seat automatically.

A unique feature of the US16E is the trio of airbags that inflate in a two-stage process to protect the head and neck of the F-35 pilot, wearing the large helmet-mounted display, upon ejection. Also of note, the F-35B version of the Lightning II has an auto-eject mode. This is designed to function in the specific instance where the STOVL aircraft is in the hover, and the shaft-driven lift fan fails.

In that case, the jet is likely to pitch down sharply, quicker than the pilot can react to fire the seat manually. It will therefore fire automatically while the possibility of escape remains.

I do hope that this system didn’t throw out the WAFU Pilot and throw away an otherwise perfectly serviceable jet? :shock:
By Sooty25
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:

So in the event of an ejection behind enemy lines the enemy dont have to sift through all the wreckage, just ask the pilot "nicely" to hand it over?
Seems unlikely!

I forgot to add, "with an, instant wipe button if captured" :thumleft:
gaznav wrote:If the rumours are correct then it looks like something was missed on walk around that disagreed with the engine. The rest is. as they say, history. The other rumour is as @PaulSS mentions - no need for a SAR helo as the Pilot landed back on deck.

Swing over to eGoat for the story.
https://www.egoat.net/threads/f35-down. ... st-1024478

Oh FFS!
Surely not? What a bunch of amateurs
(I know, it could happen to any of us, but £100m...)
TrickyWoo liked this