Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My passport was stamped by the French at the Dover car ferry terminal for the first time ever three weeks ago -- this is definitely a new thing, which I assume is to keep tabs on the 90-day limit on staying in the EU (until the electronic system is functioning).
Make no mistake, if you have an entry stamp, but no exit stamp, you can be in deep doggy-do-do a few months down the line if you want to get into a Schengen country.

You might think you can have all sorts of proof that you haven't been further than Sainsbury's since your last visit, but right there, on the gate, they are going to want to see a boarding card from your return trip. A spent ticket, a used passenger locator form? Not good enough.

The French adore their paperwork, our government is doing its utmost to make Brits the most unpopular travellers in the world, and many Douaniers were anti-brit even before Brexit got going.

They are dying to make an example of somebody. At best they just won't let you in, at worst it's a stonking fine and you'll be forbidden to come back into Schengen for months or even years.
I've been reading a lot of FB groups for Brits living in and travelling to France.

Not so long ago a family of four, with two dogs, moving from Scotland to France with a lot of their furniture on a trailer were turned back from Caen. Their visas were good, passports up-to-date, animals vaccinated and passported, goods valued listed and receipted - but there was mud on their trailer. They were not allowed to wash it into French drains, had to re-board the ferry, and wait three days in Hampshire for another ticket.
By Flying_john
For me, I think the days of a channel crossing and spending time at a French airfield are now more or less done with.

The food in most airfield "bistro's" is overpriced and nothing to write home about. The faffing around with Flight plans , Immigration , Gendarmerie in all its guises is too much, then there is the danger areas over the channel to catch out the unwary, not to mention the general French dislike of the Brits since we chose to go our own way Edited to remove blatant political discussion of Brexit Even the wine isn't cheaper than the UK now !

In the same way as it was rare to see a French pilot and aircraft at our British airfields, I think we should become a rarity in France. I think we should be doing more to support our own Aviation in the UK even if that means forgoing the drawback and paying for the privilege.
anglianav8r liked this
By skydriller
There are alot of things I dont like about France.
There are alot of things I dont like about the UK.

I sincerely hope that the UK becomes the best place in the world for GA as oft quoted.... but right now Id say Committing Aviation is something I really like about France. :thumleft:

If you decide to not visit and make the most of it, thats your loss... :|

Regards, SD..
johnm, patowalker, GrahamB and 5 others liked this
By patowalker
Steve R wrote:Make no mistake, if you have an entry stamp, but no exit stamp, you can be in deep doggy-do-do a few months down the line if you want to get into a Schengen country.

So you arrive from outside Schengen and you believe you will face problems, because you can't prove you left Schengen. Am I missing something?
anglianav8r liked this
By Dave W
Not recently, so no direct experience of COVID aspects, but in late 2019 Kortrijk- Wevelgem (EBKT) was quick and easy if not the cheapest.

Booking in via computer terminal - invoice arrives later. Customs & Immigration on site and friendly. Good restaurant.

SkyDemon user comments suggest it is still that way.

Here are the Belgian COVID rules for GA.
Steve R wrote:Make no mistake, if you have an entry stamp, but no exit stamp, you can be in deep doggy-do-do a few months down the line if you want to get into a Schengen country.

You might think you can have all sorts of proof that you haven't been further than Sainsbury's since your last visit, but right there, on the gate, they are going to want to see a boarding card from your return trip. A spent ticket, a used passenger locator form? Not good enough.

The French adore their paperwork, our government is doing its utmost to make Brits the most unpopular travellers in the world, and many Douaniers were anti-brit even before Brexit got going.

They are dying to make an example of somebody. At best they just won't let you in, at worst it's a stonking fine and you'll be forbidden to come back into Schengen for months or even years.

Ridiculous gross over exaggeration on all fronts. A fine, for what?

A 'stamp' is only part of the process and it is the electronic recording that counts. What's the first thing they do when you hand in your passport, look for stamps? Of course not. It goes on the scanner, the buried coil gets induced with current, the chip brings up your data, the immig official sees whether you are recorded in or out still. Its the recording of your departure electronically that is needed. If it bothers people that much, when you land back in UK drive to Dover and seek out the French there and ask them to record your departure (by the very fact you are stood in front of them so cannot still be in France).
By johnm
Just booked Swiss skiing holiday, so will experience Into Schengen and out again at Dover/Calais as the Swiss are in Schengen, though not the EU. So will also have interesting customs and duty free allowances to think about....

I quoted EC Border Code earlier, it's clear what one needs they are missing stamps, maybe worth telling (with a good dose of respect) dounaiers about it as they may not know the rules neither...

At the end of the day you are not crossing the borders in Korea, Russia or Iran (I have done the last two, they are far away from what you describe but maybe you are referring to the first one, that I have no idea :lol: )
By patowalker
Booster shots now on Covid Pass, so I'm ready if this requirement is extended to other vaccines.

Starting on 15 December, people 65 and older or who were vaccinated with a Janssen vaccine must provide proof of booster vaccination for their COVID certificate to be extended.