Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By A4 Pacific
#midlifec

Are you merely suggesting that the individuals (and organisations) you have mentioned, are ‘not nice people’? Which may make them offensive, but that’s not an offence. Or are you suggesting crimes have been committed by those you refer to?

If you are suggesting crimes have been committed, then what do you intend to do with your intimate knowledge of these activities?

Non of which exculpates the individual currently residing at her majesty’s pleasure.
By midlifec
The authorities were made aware pre Sala but couldn’t or didn’t push it along, as has been said it’s very difficult to break the chain. Maybe they will revisit it now but there is the likelihood that this may be seen as an embarrassment for the authorities given that had the individuals been properly investigated five years ago we wouldn’t in all likelihood be discussing this preventable accident now.
Stampe liked this
By A4 Pacific
Sooty25 wrote:Sometimes, it is better to just distance yourself, than get involved.

I’m very sorry to disagree Sooty.

“The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men (people) to do nothing.”

Had I had suspicions about somebody such as Henderson, how would I feel about not taking steps to prevent the illegality that causes people to die unnecessarily?

Those people will be someone’s child, parent or partner. Maybe even yours?

As the judge correctly said. The rules are written in blood.

Please don’t turn a blind eye.
JAFO liked this
By Sooty25
A4 Pacific wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:Sometimes, it is better to just distance yourself, than get involved.

“The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men (people) to do nothing.”

And, in theory you are correct, however, in practice you are getting yourself involved with a Govt agency, the actions of which might be unpredictable. Sometimes, you end up being the one that suffers.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Sooty25 wrote:And, in theory you are correct, however, in practice you are getting yourself involved with a Govt agency, the actions of which might be unpredictable. Sometimes, you end up being the one that suffers.

Sometimes you just have to do the right thing.

Ian
ThePipster, Flintstone, Flyin'Dutch' and 4 others liked this
By A4 Pacific
Sooty25 wrote:
A4 Pacific wrote:

And, in theory you are correct, however, in practice you are getting yourself involved with a Govt agency, the actions of which might be unpredictable. Sometimes, you end up being the one that suffers.

Are you able to refer to any examples of such a thing happening?
kanga, JAFO liked this
By Miscellaneous
A4 Pacific wrote:Are you able to refer to any examples of such a thing happening?

Personally I would consider the fact grey charters were so prevalent and known to be so as a potential generic example. Unless, of course, we are to believe all and sundry, other than the authorities, knew of such activity. :wink: And it they were not aware that's a very different large can of worms…
Flyin'Dutch', Stampe liked this
By Miscellaneous
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I think we all know it is/was happening but I personally have never witnessed anyone doing it.

Exactly, so, IMO, it is reasonable for individuals to conclude the authorities were turning a blind eye and that telling them about something they already knew and chose to ignore would in fact be opening a can of worms.

I do find myself asking whether such tragedy was necessary for them to be forced in to taking action?
By rdfb
Dave Johnson wrote:I may well have got the wrong end of the stick (I often do!) but my understanding was that the AAIB concluded that the most probable cause of the crash was pilot incapacitation due to Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
If that was the case, then I don't see how many licenses the pilot held, or how the flight was being operated, they would have been just as dead.
While there may well have been a contravention of regulations, but I don't see how that can be regarded as the cause of the crash.

The AAIB report says:

For example, if N264DB had been operating in accordance with Part 135, it would have been mandatory for the heater muff to have been pressure-tested.

That directly relates to commercial operations requiring more extensive testing to detect a potential CO leak on this type. There's therefore a good chance they wouldn't have died had they been operating legally and under an AOC.
Katamarino, JJMurphy, JAFO liked this
By Jonzarno
I think everyone here is against grey charters and would like to see strong action taken against those that operate them; but that said, we should be a bit careful of what we wish for.

Unless a significant proportion of grey charters are reported to the authorities backed by strong objective evidence that will ensure conviction resulting in the activity being effectively deterred, the only way the authorities can crack down is by instituting widespread ramp checks.

These could be either random or based on suspicions reported by pilots seeing a strange aircraft arrive with three or four on board.

Of course that means a lot more hassle for us, potentially with innocent pilots being hauled over the coals for minor documentation issues and also results in the CAA having to hire more inspectors for whom our community will have to pay one way or another.

I guess it’s an open question as to whether that’s a price we are willing to pay to try to help stop something like this happening again as well as whether or not it would actually work.