Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
Incidentally, for the sake of the paperwork, it's worth getting, surely, both SEP and IR(R) revalidated at *each* IR revalidation, then you're just continuously futureproofing yourself.

G

Would not the examiner then be entitled to charge , if not for each (not due) 'flight item', then for the extra signatures?
By MattL
@Genghis the Engineer you sure you mean a combined SEP/IR proficiency check? Quite a lot of extra items and flight time
By Genghis the Engineer
Any test passed qualifies as an instructor hour - if you've also got the hours (12 in the previous year) job done.

G
By Cookie
You have to be in the final twelve months of your SEP Class Rating in order to revalidate by experience iaw FCL.740.A.

It's not quite any test since the regulation is quite specific about what is permitted in lieu of the training flight(s).

Cookie
By Paul_Sengupta
Ibra wrote:Under VFR, at some point one has to level his wings and nail speed for stable visual approach? I was told 300ft agl in gliding and power is a good number

Meh.

I've been known to turn final over the threshold...

I've also occasionally landed (on one wheel) while still turning, especially on 26 at Popham where the approach is offset.
By Ibra
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I've been known to turn final over the threshold...

Trying to finish that sentence :wink:
…on my revalidations and renewals :lol: ?
By riverrock
If you do a curved, glide approach, which you may well do on a revalidation ( engines anyways seen much less reliable when I have an instructor / examiner beside me...) when would you "turn final"@Ibra :D
Ibra liked this
By Ibra
riverrock wrote:If you do a curved, glide approach, which you may well do on a revalidation ( engines anyways seen much less reliable when I have an instructor / examiner beside me...) when would you "turn final"@Ibra :D

Over threshold :D

Silly me, forget to use my wings as anchor :D
By Sir Morley Steven
Matth1542 wrote:Good Afternoon,
I am hoping there is someone on here that can help me find what I need. I did my initial IR(r) in 2019, which sadly expired at the end of April this year as I wasnt able to renew it in time.
In June I moved house and changed the address receiving my new licence back but as the IR(r) had expired it was put on the back of the licence.
I completed a few hours training and then did the renewal test and passed, yay. But was told by the caa i needed to send in form 1125 which is the application for a new rating.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SR ... nabled.pdf

Sections 5-8 seem to cover the initial issue of the licence, so i returned the form with these not filled in, and a cover note explaining.
I have had an email saying that I need to complete the course completion certificate, but I havent done another course I am just renewing!!
I seem to be going round in circles, or course I cant get hold of anyone to actually speak to at the caa who has any idea what I am talking about, and emails go unanswered.

Is there anyone that has been through this rigmarole, or an instructor on here that can point me in the direction of what I am meant to do?
I find it farsicle that the caa are so unable to help, although am not surprised…

Thank you!

The CAA are wrong. Below is an excerpt from the flight examiners handbook

“Expired rating: If the rating has expired by more than 5 years then training at CFI’s discretion is required plus a full initial IMC Rating test. Logbook and Form SRG1125 must be sent to L&TS.”

It also I says that the 1176 is the correct form to be used. The head of shared services needs to know that the department he thinks are so good is failing. His name can be found on the CAA website and everyone at the CAA has the email address firstname.lastname@caa.co.uk

If we don't let him know, he will continue to think his department are doing a good job. They are not.
JodelDavo, Matth1542, AndyR liked this
By Irv Lee
@Sir Morley Steven How do you know who or what level is driving all this 'return applications and reset the clock when we approach a measurement date even if spurious reason'. I (well, i suppose my examinee), had an application returned after 10 days because, they said, the examiner had sent in the wrong form, and they wanted a different form. Clock reset. I refused to send in what they wanted, as I knew it was the wrong form, so I pointed out their process, they admitted that I was correct originally and promised to alter their checklist or whatever they call it so they didn't ask for the wrong form in future.
Then two months later.... different examinee, same test. What would you send in? The correct form or the incorrect form? I sent in the correct form. Any guesses what happened next? (too easy isn't it...? Exactly the same cycle)
By riverrock
You should raise a complaint every time - then someone has to make a decision to not fix the issue.
Typical of businesses - if an internal person notices something not quite right, which doesn't affect the bottom line, it will go to the bottom of the pile and will probably never be looked at (if it is even bothered to be raised). If an external person (customer) does, someone has to make a decision what to do with that issue and there is an audit process for it being done (or not done).

The well established, good businesses can improve their own processes with internal feedback. When a business has a section which is barely treading water, anything that can be ignored will be.
By Matth1542
I raised a complaint last wednesday, not heard anything back about either my complaint or from the origional person that incorrectly declined my application in the first place.
Watch this space……
By Sir Morley Steven
Dont hold your breath. I have made three requests to expedite issue of licences. All of them came back saying they will consider it within ten days which apparently is quicker than the current turnaround time of…… ten days.
You couldn’t make it up.