Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By CloudHound
I understand she is helping the factory with 600kg certification for the Shark.

I wish her and the manufactures well as the other Czech company JMB (who I have a relationship with) decided on seeing the revised requirements not to proceed for the time being.
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Oldfart wrote:I haven't seen any Sharks on UK registration yet.
Probably not reliable enough or up to manufacturing standards for LAA approval!!

Well, it did suffer a punctured tyre in Singapore.
By kanga
Dave W wrote:..
Chichester wasn't, quite. It was only a few weeks later though, and satisfyingly HMQ used the same sword that QE1 had used to knight Francis Drake. :D

.. and Chichester's circum was the culmination of a decades-long list of navigation achievements by sea and air
By russp
Oldfart wrote:I haven't seen any Sharks on UK registration yet.
Probably not reliable enough or up to manufacturing standards for LAA approval!!

The issue is the CAA certification of the factories/manufacturers, they are insisting on in person audits by CAA personnel which may or may not be happening any time soon, it is the CAA after all…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By kanga
ChampChump wrote:Zara's interview on Woman's Hour met their agenda, which these days is a tough call :wink: ..

<not a regular listener, but I see no reason to change stations if it's on when I'm driving>

what's different or tough about its 'agenda .. these days' ?

<in genuine curiosity; but familiar with long tradition of some of the media decrying any change of style or presenter or editor of any traditional R4 - or any BBC - programme, and implying nefarious motives behind the change. Analogously: 'coercive control' storyline on The Archers, female Dr Who, .. :? >
By patowalker
I think Zara needs to be more assertive in response to questions about the environmental cost of flying around the world. It is not enought to talk about offsetting carbon by planting trees and the fuel efficiency of her aircraft, without giving concrete examples.
A comparison between the fuel consumption of the Shark at 130kts and that of the 4 seater types usually flown on circumnavigation record attempts, would provide her audience with a better understanding of the relative environmental impact of her flight, in my view.
By Mz Hedy
Got to give Ms Rutherford credit in the interview, she's not a politician. Giving a coherent interview at the age of 19 is a pretty good achievement in its own right. I liked the phlegmatic way she described the risk of icing (in answer to a question about not being able to fly in cloud) and the potential outcome engine failure over cold water.

Unusually for Woman's Hour there was no "ain't it awful being a woman" element to the interview - though young Zara got in a bit about the small minority of pilots being women and that her next task is to study Engineering at university. I suspect the interviewer was out of her depth on this one and was much more at home asking what music Zara listened to whilst flying.
Dave W, Flyin'Dutch', nallen and 2 others liked this
By ChampChump
Unusually for Woman's Hour there was no "ain't it awful being a woman" element to the interview

Kanga, that was more or less my point. If you don't hear it except occasionally (and why would you?) you've avoided a good number of ishoos that I'd deem to be rather more than feminist matters. JMO, of course.

She did mention the fuel efficiency of the Shark but I suspect that went over the head of the Emma Barnett. Zara had a good deal to explain and I think much was explained.

Link corrected. I was too hasty.
kanga liked this
By patowalker
ChampChump wrote:She did mention the fuel efficiency of the Shark but I suspect that went over the head of the Emma Barnett.

Yes, and probably most of the audience as well. It is not the first time the question has come up in an interview, which is why I thought a comparison between the fuel burn of Zara's aircraft and the aircraft of other circumnavigators might be useful.
That was before I read that Travis Ludlow's 172 reportedly burnt just 18lph of Jet A1.

It has annoyed me intensely that certain interviewers seems to want to broadcast their own green credentials, or address some supposed public concern, by questioning Zara on the environmental cost of her trip.
Mz Hedy liked this