Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:I'me trying to imagine the conversation at her first meeting with her Tutor or Director of Studies at her university this September: ".. and what did you do on your gap year ?" :wink:

"Yes, Ms Rutherford, would you give us brief summary of how you filled your time, please?"
kanga liked this
I must say that I expected more in TV news reports of this fantastic achievement. Instead we have a female singer bubbling that she has to cancel a bliddy concert or summat.
My pulse has settled down now that she’s home - those long sea crossings and remote areas of Russia had me pacing up and down, let alone her mum and dad.
T6Harvard, Stampe, Kittyhawk and 1 others liked this
By kanga
Bill McCarthy wrote:I must say that I expected more in TV news reports of this fantastic achievement. Instead we have a female singer bubbling that she has to cancel a bliddy concert or summat. ..

Yesterday's BBC1 TV national news bulletin gave her reasonable (I thought) headline gist and item time and placement, given the other major national and international news stories also on offer. Nothing (then) about any singers (but I gathered the gist about two - one cancelling gigs, one dead - from this morning's radio summary).

[I don't normally watch the national (normally only the Regional) evening TV news, and never the morning bulletins; but I watched last night precisely to see this item. Normally, for me, 'the pictures are better on the radio']
Newfy liked this
By kanga
CloudHound wrote:ITV national news at 18.30 didn't mention her. But strangely choose a flying news item about Richard Grace selling a Spitfire for £4m :?:

TV news is (inevitably ?) skewed to items of which there is footage. Perhaps BBC somehow had a monopoly of access to her arrival and post-arrival interviews :wink:
By ChampChump
I'm not the person for that, having scanned the rules.

It's been mentioned by a friend that Chichester, Rose, Knox-Johnston and MacArthur got gongs as soon as they stepped off the boat. I've not checked that.
By Dave W
Ellen Macarthur's Damehood was announced the day after her return.

Chichester wasn't, quite. It was only a few weeks later though, and satisfyingly HMQ used the same sword that QE1 had used to knight Francis Drake. :D

If it does happen for Zara, what would be an equivalent satisfying link to say, Sheila Scott?

Robin Knox-Johnson waited a bit too, says Wikipedia, but looking that up I found this that I hadn't known -which deserves applause all on it's own:

Wikipedia wrote:Knox-Johnston donated his prize money for fastest competitor, a sum of £5,000, to the family of Donald Crowhurst, another competitor in the race who had committed suicide after attempting to fake his round the world voyage.
By T6Harvard
Dave W wrote:Ellen Macarthur's Damehood was announced the day after her return.

Chichester wasn't, quite. It was only a few weeks later though, and satisfyingly HMQ used the same sword that QE1 had used to knight Francis Drake. :D

If it does happen for Zara, what would be an equivalent satisfying link to say, Sheila Scott?

Get the person formerly known as Prince Andrew to do it..... oh no that link is Selina Scott not Sheila. See poor quality YouTube of Selina asking him about his nickname... oh how we laughed.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... qMODEYBhoC