Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Boswell
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Would appreciate a recommendation for a reliable (and quick) outfit for McMurdo Fastfind Max G and Ocean Signal PLB1 battery replacement and full testing; preferably offering both.

Prices seems to have doubled in the last 2-3 years. Not interested in DIY.

Thanks.
By PeteSpencer
Here's what our group member did when he changed our McMurdo beacon battery in July as instructions were unclear:

In one place it says testing doesn't transmit an alert signal:

In another place it says it does.

1) Rang S & R in Fareham 03443820025.

2) Warned them he would be doing a test in the 5 minutes after 11.00L

3)Raised emergency pull tag slightly just enough to slide finger under and press button on R for 8 seconds.

4)Rang S & R again to confirm test had been carried out: They confirmed an alert had been received.

So, @Boswell DIY is no big deal: all sorted in short order.
TopCat liked this
4 years expired my Kannad and still gives full strength on battery test. No intention of doing anything with it until it doesnt show that. Then I'll diy it. Not hard once you get inside the case if happy soldering yourself.

Same with life vests, ample videos out there how to service. Easily repacked, the only thing you need is digital kitchen scales to weigh the cylinder.

More aviation rip offs to the masses who blindly lead each other with this British panic mentality that things wont work one day after a so called expiry date.
By BoeingBoy
Same with life vests, ample videos out there how to service. Easily repacked, the only thing you need is digital kitchen scales to weigh the cylinder.

I'll second that. I inflate all my jackets every February. Leave them for 36 hours to check for leaks and then weigh the bottles on a kitchen scale. Repack as per YouTube and you're done for another year.

As for PLB's, the last I looked it was easier just to buy new and keep the old one as a back up until the battery indicated it was spent.
By Boswell
It seems practical to keep using out-of-date PLBs, as long as their batteries are still functioning.

But when did PLBs routinely start to feature GPS (100m position location accuracy) compared with non-GPS beacons (2km position accuracy)?

A lot of info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency ... adiobeacon but doesn't answer that question.
By MikeW
Deleted my last post it was rubbish!
The battery in my McMurdo 210 was due for change in 2016 (but still indicates fully charged) so I presumably bought it in 2010.
My recollection is that when I bought it, at Southampton boat show which is always September, the GPS model was recently introduced.
So maybe around 11 or 12 years?

PS Yes I bought it in 2010. It was £185 (boat show special offer), so today's price relatively cheaper.
Last edited by MikeW on Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.