Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Trent772
Rob P wrote:
Ibra wrote:You mean like this?

No.

But I guess it would do for the time being if you can't currently afford the real thing?

Rob P

There is the issue - That Dynon install would be cheaper than a standard 6 pack install !!
Rob P, Ibra liked this
By Shoestring Flyer
Trent772 wrote:
Rob P wrote:
Ibra wrote:You mean like this?

No.

But I guess it would do for the time being if you can't currently afford the real thing?

Rob P

There is the issue - That Dynon install would be cheaper than a standard 6 pack install !!

....and most importantly the Dynon Glass panel is also a hell of a lot lighter in weight!
By Rob P
Trent772 wrote:There is the issue - That Dynon install would be cheaper than a standard 6 pack install !!

Shoestring Flyer wrote:....and most importantly the Dynon Glass panel is also a hell of a lot lighter in weight!

Indeed. Tele screens in otherwise lovely VFR aircraft are the preserve of paupers and pie eaters. :D

Rob P

It should be noted that my aircraft has a dreadful panel, a legacy of the previous owners having inadvisably ripped out the six-pack they originally fitted, something I find hard to forgive. Poverty has so far prevented its replacement with something better and more suited to the aircraft and its 'mission' (hate that word)
Trent772 liked this
By Big Dex
I recently swapped the 6-pack in my Europa for a 10" Dynon Skyview system with backup Garmin G5; I'm very pleased with it, and having learnt my way around the interface, find it to be a significant improvement in data presentation than the old analogues (especially in IMC).
By ls8pilot
Kanardia Horiz is widely used in the gliding community. It works well if you merely want to augment a "steam driven" panel, as it's just another 80mm standard instrument. Easier to fit as a partial upgrade, but if you are starting from scratch and have plenty of space there may be better options.

I find even the 57mm version is easy to use/read
By russp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dynon Skyview HDX with a backup Dynon D6 .. wish I hadn't fitted the silly useless round things. Been very pleased with it.
By PaulSS
Dynon Skyview HDX with a backup Dynon D6 .. wish I hadn't fitted the silly useless round things

To be honest, I don't know what our obsession is with back ups to back ups (and I'm guilty of having a back up to my EFIS). I bet your HDX has a back up battery and yet you still have a D6, analogue dials AND all the information you really would need to get you down safely on your SkyDemon.

If I had my time again it would be a Dynon EFIS and an iPad in a Guardian Avionics mount. That's it. There's no need for anything else in a day, VFR machine. If the EFIS goes belly up and the back up battery doesn't help then I can get groundspeed and enough of an altitude guide from SkyDemon to sort everything out.......and even if I lost that the machine isn't going to fall from the sky.

(I bet you wish you hadn't bothered with the autopilot controllers, when it's all so easy to use direct from the HDX :thumleft: )
russp liked this
By russp
PaulSS wrote:
Dynon Skyview HDX with a backup Dynon D6 .. wish I hadn't fitted the silly useless round things

If I had my time again it would be a Dynon EFIS and an iPad in a Guardian Avionics mount. That's it. There's no need for anything else in a day, VFR machine. If the EFIS goes belly up and the back up battery doesn't help then I can get groundspeed and enough of an altitude guide from SkyDemon to sort everything out.......and even if I lost that the machine isn't going to fall from the sky.

(I bet you wish you hadn't bothered with the autopilot controllers, when it's all so easy to use direct from the HDX :thumleft: )[/size]

That’s a good call on the HDX and iPad mount only, think I’d probably go the same way but I would keep the autopilot controllers - tried the simple controls via the screen, didn’t much like it. Much prefer just pressing the button on the panel to multiple presses on the screen.
By Shoestring Flyer
I think you will find that the LAA Permit requirement is that you have to have EFIS backup instrumentation.
They used to say that the backups had to be mechanical but nowadays I belive they will accept electronic backups. Can't see them accepting a tablet as a backup though!
By Cessna571
One question no one has asked.

What happens in the event of an electrical failure?

Do the units have an internal battery backup, or do you just accept you’ll lose it.

I know there’s plenty of failure modes for mechanical, I’m just wondering if they’ve addressed that.
By Shoestring Flyer
You normally have an external backup battery although some EFIS systems do have internal backup battery in the screen unit.
With my Dynon Skyviews I have a 45min/1hr backup battery connected to one of my two screens only, figuring that losing one screen, and I have, it is not a problem.
Cessna571 liked this
By GrahamB
Cessna571 wrote:Do the units have an internal battery backup, or do you just accept you’ll lose it

My G5s have four hours standby battery. Also, if the primary ADI fails, the HSI will failover to ADI mode.
Cessna571 liked this