Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Copy of Info below, all welcome, great cafe. They are doing this every Thursday for the foreseeable.

This Thursday, 28th Oct, hosts our fifth night flying of the season.

We still have instructor slots available, give the office a call on 01939 232882 to book your lesson or to hire an aircraft. 

Have a night rating? The office, runway lights, fire cover and fuel will be open until late! Visitors are all welcome to fly in, please share to your aviation friends. 

The Cafe will be serving the usual fantastic range of meals and drinks, please find the menu attached. The Cafe will be busy, so it is advisable to book ahead.

Kind regards,

Shropshire Aero Club Team

Shropshire Aero Club

01939 232882 | info@shropshireaeroclub.co.uk 

http://www.shropshireaeroclub.co.uk
JJMurphy liked this
By Iceman
T6Harvard wrote:The office, runway lights, fire cover and fuel will be open until late.

It would be useful to know how late ?

Iceman 8)
By T6Harvard
Iceman wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:The office, runway lights, fire cover and fuel will be open until late.

It would be useful to know how late ?

Iceman 8)

Agree. I have no idea and the website doesn't seem to say either. As it's PPR I guess a quick call or email would reveal all.
Café menu is very good, proper evening meals not just a bacon butty :D
Iceman liked this
By PeteSpencer
I enjoyed doing the night rating as (compulsory) part of the PPL/IR requirements.

However, flying as I do from a strip (with no lights) it would have been an impossible logistical nightmare involving willing spouses giving up their time to drive etc etc, for me to do it in our own a/c.

So I polished it off in 3 nights a school a/c based at the airport with lighting.

Sadly the same logistical nightmare has prevented me from doing any more night flying.

Thank the lord NF is not part of the biennial review...........................
T6Harvard liked this
By Rob P
Likewise I did a night rating, mostly because as a newly fledged ppl I thought it was the next step for everyone.

As Peter has highlighted, unless you happen to operate from a significant airport it's generally pretty much useless. Even then you'll probably find the cost a bit eye watering if you need to arrive late.

But it's a great experience. Everyone should do it.

Rob P
StratoTramp, T6Harvard liked this
By Fellsteruk
This is great, I’ve just don’t my proficiency check ride for night flying as a year since I’d flown at night.

Got a trip up to blackpool planned but didn’t think anywhere or many would be open so this is great will have to try and plan a trip into Sleap.
T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
Rob P wrote:But it's a great experience. Everyone should do it.

Including me?

Just curious what you think, knowing, as I imagine you do, my aversion to lack of forced landing options.

I don't doubt I'd be able to learn to land in the dark. I daresay I could force myself - I've overcome the intense fear and ridden on rollercoasters a few times. And I expect I'd like the twinkly lights - I've loved them from CAT and even more so from the cockpit of a cargo plane flying with a Flyer lister of yesteryear from Stansted.

But why, really?
StratoTramp liked this
By Rob P
It's hard to describe the sensation of being completely alone in a seemingly infinite, empty sky sandwiched between the vastness of a starry twinkling space and the everyday world below transformed into something quite different by street lighting, mysterious dark areas and road vehicles crawling along in pursuit of the twin beams of their own lights.

Once, near Worcester, and as a very new pilot, I was sorely tempted to shut down the engine, kill the lights and just swoop around the dark sky like a giant metallic bat. (I resisted)

But your aversion which I think also includes worrying about being over water (is your aircraft really so unreliable that you actually worry about the engine stopping?) probably negates any joy you'd derive from the experience. So let's happily amend the statement to "most people should try"?

Rob P
TrickyWoo, T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
Rob P wrote:(is your aircraft really so unreliable that you actually worry about the engine stopping?)

I don't worry in the day time, when I can see where to land if it does. And I don't worry over water, if I'm high enough to reach the land. At least do me the favour of steel-manning the position, please.

But this is actually a completely irrational question. Of course it's not unreliable. If it were, I'd have had it fixed by now.

My aversion to being out of gliding distance from land has nothing to do with the probability of engine failure, which is obviously unchanged regardless of where the sun is.

It's to do with what happens after the engine failure, if it happens. But you knew that, so I don't see the point of the question.
By Rob P
TopCat wrote:At least do me the favour of steel-manning the position, please.

Sorry, I haven't a clue what that means.

Rob P
By TopCat
Rob P wrote:
TopCat wrote:At least do me the favour of steel-manning the position, please.

Sorry, I haven't a clue what that means.

Rob P

It's the opposite of straw-manning. But never mind.
By Paul_Sengupta
Like a carbonated version of Iron Man.

I've night flown in/out of Cardiff, and while in the US, but that's about it, having been based at a farm strip for nigh on 20 years. Cardiff don't charge any extra for lights. If you're based there they don't charge any extra for landing at all.
StratoTramp liked this
By MichaelP
‘Steel manning’
Wasn’t Superman ‘man of steel’?
In contravention of the regulations he had neither a beacon nor navigation lights when he flew at night, and was frequently in contravention of the low flying rules.

I did five landings at night to revalidate my night rating with no landing fees.
I want to go and do a bit more if the weather improves.

I want my fill of night flying because I want to avoid doing five hours for my night rating because though I have a night rating, and even taught the night rating, I don’t have a night rating...
StratoTramp liked this