Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Trent772
Only in pre planning stage, but.........

Would like to take the PC-12 to Oshkosh next year.

No big deal, all the legs are planned and relatively straight forward.

I have crossed the pond hundreds of times, but in an A330, so if we wish to puddle jump in a 'light single', what are the pitfalls, do we need specific overflight clearances etc etc.

No, we are not doing goon suits, I will be in shorts and a T shirt - obvs with rank slides :clown:

Sensible answers will be corresponded with.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Have done this 3 times.

1. Everyone onboard will need a B1B visa (unless they are US citizens) - this requires a visit to the US Embassy and a load of form filling

2. What reg is the aircraft ? If not an N reg, then you will have to arrange to temporally import the aircraft into the USA. No big deal - but your customs clearance into the US can only be via certain major airfields, that have the facilities - eg Bangor.

3. If you plan to night stop - book the hotels in advance. Reykjavik, Narsarsuaq, Kulusuk,, Nuuk and Goose Bay have limited hotel facilities - and you can get caught out.

4. Above 5000' you must be IFR (Iceland & Greenland crossings) and you are supposed to have HF radio. Officially Satphone is not an acceptable alternative.

5. Dont rush it. Plan to spend a day or two in some of the more unusual places.

6. Book your Oshkosh hotel NOW !!

7. Flying into OSH is great fun and not difficult - you just need to read the NOTAM and follow the instructions exactly.
By Iceman
Lefty wrote:4. Above 5000' you must be IFR (Iceland & Greenland crossings) and you are supposed to have HF radio. Officially Satphone is not an acceptable alternative.

7. Flying into OSH is great fun and not difficult - you just need to read the NOTAM and follow the instructions exactly.

On 4, it’s Flight-level 055, which is the base of Class A oceanic airspace. HF radio is only required on certain routes, e.g., the most expeditious route from Narsarsuaq to Goose Bay. More northerly routes across Greenland do not require HF although you’ll then have a longer trudge south.

On 7, you can arrive IFR via an instrument approach, if required, rather than fight it out on the VFR arrival route, as ‘fun’ as that is :D.

No specific overflight requirements other than the standard flight plan.

Arrange your customs entry into Canada in advance - a simple on-line booking process. We were in Narsarsuaq, just about to depart, when Canadian customs asked us for our EAPIS numbers, which neither of us had. A mad few minutes ensued on-line, getting the numbers.

Arrange your port of entry into the US in advance and do not leave the aircraft until Mr. US Border man has inspected your aircraft, Geiger counter and all :shock:.

Get Oshkosh accommodation sorted early. We tented last time. When I do it again, I’ll try and get an RV delivered on-site. That would enable both civilised facilities and being close to the action during the evening, with no travel required.

May be take in somewhere else en route, e.g., New York.

Do you have any spare seats :D ? I know that myself and Chilli Monster were talking about going back next year in the TB20.

Iceman 8)
By Awful Charlie
I would strongly suggest you put together a spreadsheet/calendar of airport opening and customs availability. Greenland is likely to demand an arm and a leg in any case, but turn up on a Sunday or bank holiday and you are likely to find they want more than one of each. Out of hours charges at Reykjavik are legendary (cheaper to go to the out of town commercial airport). Take it with you in case you re-schedule for the weather!
Don't forget to get a US Customs sticker (takes a couple of weeks)
For long trips I put together a 'Document Pack' with copies of all the aircraft and crew paperwork - you can give these to inspecting officials if/when they check the originals and it can help to get them off your back/stop them taking away originals to copy
By Flyingfemme
It’s no drama in a PC12. Recommend you go to Reykjavik for the nightstop - it’s way nicer than Kef and you can walk into town if you stay at the airport. Use Reykjavik FBO; much nicer, more efficient. At Goose use Woodwards - the original and the best. World Fuel gets better value in most places if you have a card and it’s easy to arrange with their app. Get in, and out, of Nastywak as early as poss in the day because they close at 5 and all day Sunday. It’s cheaper to open than it used to be but you don’t need the extra expense. And the tourist facilities, if you have to stay, are nothing to write home about.
Arrive Canada (I think) is the immigration thing and you need to do it before you lanch on that leg. Likewise US formalities have a website. If you are flying an N reg, get a customs decal for the aircraft before you go.
US visas take a while to get right now. Start early if you are going because the wait could be months. Having a crew visa has been valuable these past couple of years.
Foreflight is great once you get to North America and you can load a Jepp subscription in (if you have one).
Iceman liked this
By Lefty
Another possible gotcha - insurance!

Most standard insurance policies don’t cover flight in the USA.
We had a lot trouble getting the existing insurer to provide cover for the trip. They eventually agreed subject to a fairly huge one-off premium.

However this took months to arrange - and they restricted us to a maximum of two POB (in an SR22). One of our friends planned to fly scheduled to the US and meet up with us for the US mainland flights, but the insurers declined to offer cover for any additional passenger. Might be an issue if you plan to take additional pax along.
By Iceman
You can perhaps arrange insurance cover from a US broker whilst there, if not already covered by your existing insurance company.

On the subject of insurance, make sure that it covers Canadian SAR ops, which can otherwise be quite hefty in the event that you need them.

Iceman 8)
By kanga
Lefty wrote:..
3. If you plan to night stop - book the hotels in advance. ..Goose Bay have limited hotel facilities - ..

.. but there are now a few facilities (1 Motel, some B&Bs) in North West River nearish Goose, a short (by Canadian standards!) and (now) metalled road drive away. Much prettier than Goose itself and Happy Valley, too. I have no idea how often any are fully booked, though. Will obviously require hire car or taxi. Unfortunately the NWR airstrip is now a residential road :?

[NWR was my stamping ground for a while in the '60s, and I have relatives there, as Lefty may recall. Places there are now on the interwebbything, no longer reliant on HF PTT radio!]
By Dusty_B
Pilot Pete wrote:Item 8.
Find some self loading baggage.
I know of around 115 kilos. ;-)

Save weight, take me instead.
By Iron Chicken
Lefty wrote:Another possible gotcha - insurance!

Most standard insurance policies don’t cover flight in the USA.
We had a lot trouble getting the existing insurer to provide cover for the trip. They eventually agreed subject to a fairly huge one-off premium.

I attempted to get stateside insurance for a visit with my G reg aircraft via the EAA who advertise a link up with an insurer - "sorry sir we only insure N registered aircraft"

Tricky

IC
By Lefty
@kanga
The site of the old NW River airstrip is actually named “Airstrip Road” - and in 2015, there was still enough clear space to land an a/c on the dirt road. (I’ve got a couple of photos of me landing there in CF-UEF in 1971 / 72)
kanga liked this