Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By akg1486
I realize that I'm still a newbie in comparison with many here, who have been flying for longer and who have their own aircraft, but I still felt pretty chuffed passing a milestone yesterday: 1,000 landings, TGLs included. That's the number in my logbook, so they include also the early landings that my instructor, rather than myself, did. I'm happy to report that landing #1,000 was a smooth one right on the numbers.

My first lesson was in July 2003, so it's taken eighteen years and a bit, and 550+ hours, to get there.

I'm not really chasing numbers, but I hope to reach 1,000 hours before I quit flying. So many more airfield to visit! I've only been to some 125 so far, plus a few only as pax: we're usually three pilots during long trips so not everyone gets all airfields in the book. If I fly with the frequency I've flown so far, I'll be around 70 y/o at the time. So it feels doable!

For any "youngsters" here: don't chase hours, chase experiences! Visit as many places as you can; why not fly with other PPLs to expand your horizons together? There's a difference between 500 hour of experience and one hour of experience 500 times.
Dave W, aligee, patowalker and 12 others liked this
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Way more than me. Well done. I really should start tracking landings before it gets to late to count back :lol:

I suppose they count more than just biffing about in the sky straight and level.
By akg1486
StratoTramp wrote:Way more than me. Well done. I really should start tracking landings before it gets to late to count back :lol:

There are many tools; I just use Excel. But make a note of what you did on the flight, what you learned and how it'll improve your flying in the future. Much more interesting than cold numbers.

Ours is a fascinating hobby: we learn every flight. Hopefully.
StratoTramp, WelshRichy, T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By StratoTramp
I've got an excel backup but it's just catching hours and notes at the moment. Will add landings. :thumleft:

I have a word doc for each lesson, with a simple table. What went well, what could be improved, what will I do next time etc.

Worst thing so far is getting to the power checks before finally seeing pitot cover still on. But caught it in one of my duplicate checks.
T6Harvard liked this
By Iceman
Is not one of your preflight checks to test the pitot heat as part of your walk-around check ?

Iceman 8)
By akg1486
StratoTramp wrote:I have a word doc for each lesson, with a simple table. What went well, what could be improved, what will I do next time etc.

Continue with that also after the lessons. Much more interesting and useful than hours.
T6Harvard, StratoTramp liked this
By skydriller
Iceman wrote:Is not one of your preflight checks to test the pitot heat as part of your walk-around check ?

There are aeroplanes without Pitot Heat... I fly one. :shock:

Regards, SD..
Flyin'Dutch', carlmeek liked this
By StratoTramp
Only did it once. The check is just "take the super bright neon, should be impossible to miss, thing off the tube" on walkaround. As it's high wing I've added another note on checklist to check when going round the box.
By skydriller
StratoTramp wrote:should be impossible to miss

You say that... but pilots regularly take off with much bigger bright orange towbars attached to aeroplanes...
kanga, StratoTramp liked this
By StratoTramp
Yep, Decided more checks at more stages the answer :lol:

@akg1486 has made it a long way :lol:
By skydriller
StratoTramp wrote:Yep, Decided more checks at more stages the answer

I would say that it is a good idea to get into a flowing ... I hate saying "routine", because that isnt what I mean and might signal complacency ... maybe call it rhythm (?) when it comes to checks... Such that you make a point to do your walk-around by yourself and if anyone so much as says hello interupting your flow, you start again so you dont forget or miss anything. And after the walk around, before you get in the aeroplane walk away from it 10-15 feet and look at it to see if it "looks right".

Regards, SD..
By Cessna571
skydriller wrote:
StratoTramp wrote:Yep, Decided more checks at more stages the answer

I would say that it is a good idea to get into a flowing ... I hate saying "routine", because that isnt what I mean and might signal complacency ... maybe call it rhythm (?) when it comes to checks... Such that you make a point to do your walk-around by yourself and if anyone so much as says hello interupting your flow, you start again so you dont forget or miss anything. And after the walk around, before you get in the aeroplane walk away from it 10-15 feet and look at it to see if it "looks right".

Regards, SD..

I wish I could give this a bigger like.

I always stand in front of the aircraft, point to the pitot, point to the fuel caps, walk over and double check the cowling clips, then get in.

I had to get out once recently as I’d not done my final little ceremony before I’d got in, and it felt wrong.

Back to the thread.

1000 landings… that’s quite a lot.
I was told you have to repeat an action 10,000 times to become expert at it.

:shock:
By Rob P
skydriller wrote: And after the walk around, before you get in the aeroplane walk away from it 10-15 feet and look at it to see if it "looks right".

I do that first. I doubt the order matters as long as it is done.

Rob P
By akg1486
Cessna571 wrote:1000 landings… that’s quite a lot.
I was told you have to repeat an action 10,000 times to become expert at it.

That would mean that I'm 10% on my way to become an expert at landing. That sounds about right. :D
Cessna571 liked this