Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Josh
That’s Malcolm Gladwell bullshit. NASA only required 1000 practice approaches to qualify as a shuttle commander and none of them did too badly.

I remember landing 1000 - the hangover afterwards was pretty good too!
StratoTramp liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have no idea how many landings I've done...... I don't add them up just record them for currency basically.
carlmeek liked this
By Josh
There’s a column in my logbook for totalling them.

Logten pro also gave a count when I used them before they became a ripoff subscription </threaddrift>
By VRB_20kt
For preflight…

As you approach the aircraft, consider whether it looks right.

Before doing any checks, make the aircraft ready to fly. Remove covers, tie downs etc. Wash the windows if needed. Clean stuff, fix anything that clearly needs fixing.

Only then do the checks
T6Harvard liked this
By Flintstone
StratoTramp wrote:The check is just "take the super bright neon, should be impossible to miss, thing off the tube" on walkaround.

I've never done that.

Yet. :D

If I thought long and hard enough I'm pretty sure I could come up with a stupider example of wot I have dun though.
StratoTramp liked this
By ROG
The one that fell onto the runway at Southend recently wasn"t properly attached.
Landing with it attached could prove to be slightly dangerous,
By Dave W
Flintstone wrote:I've never done that.

Yet. :D

I have.

Turns out that all that guff about flying attitude and power actually works. Who knew?

The boring* Human Factors stuff about distractions and assumptions also works:

Land the jalopy, get ready to put it away whilst taking a call asking "Can you come and take a quick picture of the village do?"; say "Yes, of course"; know FOR SURE that you've only just landed and got out so OF COURSE it's still fit for flight; check the airspeed as usual when rolling; see it's alive so continue airborne THEN see the ASI needle is in the wrong place at the same time as hearing the CLANGGGG!!!! of a dropped penny.

ILAFUFT.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

* Some knackered old bizjet dude banged on about it in my hearing once. I think he called it "CRM for GA", whatever that means.
StratoTramp, kanga liked this