Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You are unlikely to stall if you keep your head out of your a$$

Those guys doing the CAA safety contract really need go no further if they want to know how to do safety videos.
Iceman, rohmer, Ben K and 3 others liked this
By PaulSS
Yep, thems Red Tailed Hawks are pretty big bits of kit and do, indeed, seem to be attracted to aircraft :shock: Cue the fat, bald Limey flying the USMC's very newest AV8B II+ on one of his last flights in the military. New car smell and just the delivery flight from Boeing on the clock. Tonking along, minding his own business, when Mr/Mrs RTH decided to make friends with the noisy bird at their level over the swamps of North Carolina. Seconds later, the USMC's new toy has a very big dent in the wing (and a failed hydraulic system), a radar with no pointy cover over it and a very upset Pegasus engine, which objected to having lumps of radome thrown down it. I think it totalled $17m worth of damage.

Beware of Red Tailed Hawks........and stalling on base :D

(Other birds of prey are available, including the big kites around Oxfordshire and buzzards that seem to like the Isle Of Wight
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By StratoTramp
I watched this yesterday too.

Said stalling in that part is the bit I'm most worried about in aviation ... Followed by cocking up on the radio :lol: not such a downside on number 2.

I think he was just distracted and he wasn't quite at that stage. But there was a comment about perhaps accepting a bird strike In short final which I thought was food for thought.

@Miscellaneous yes, great presentation style.
flybymike liked this
By PeteSpencer
When Keef and I were in Florida doing FAA/IR in 2002 we regularly when doing Instrument approaches into Fort Myers got ATC warnings of ‘Turkey Buzzards on short final.’

Concentrated the mind more than somewhat especially during the taxing off-airport NDB approach . :roll:

Fortunately they were less inquisitive than Red Tailed Hawks- in fact I only ever saw one- from quite a distance away.
By Hooligan
PaulSS wrote:
(Other birds of prey are available, including the big kites around Oxfordshire and buzzards that seem to like the Isle Of Wight

Buzzards and kites all over the south east now, I live near Biggin and see several pairs of both regularly.

In Florida years ago with a friend in a C150, we saw a couple of turkey buzzards thermaling some way below and ahead - amazing how quickly they reached our altitude, one passing just below the right wing not far from my startled gaze!
By condor17
On the lines of ..
''accepting a bird strike In short final ''.

Back in the mid 80s , short final into LHR in a 737-200 ; a skylark gets up for his hovering climb ..Right into our path; I was P2 handling , my thought were don't want him down an engine , or onto my windscreen...
To the skipper '' Duck '' as I put the rear of said skylark onto his screen . Still feel guilty of it now , but wasn't ever going to G/A as he might have gone down an engine , never mind a 40nm G/A pattern .
That's why every July it was flying lessons for baby Kestrels at LHR , doing ccts and T/Gs from runway and taxiway marker boards . Once qualified they kept other bird numbers down .

Another I learned from that ... Back in the days of Highland Division , low level avoiding the weather in the Hebs.
Never , ever go past the back of a trawler 'cos of the flock of following seagulls .
Always go past the front ...
How do I know that ? .. the MOR asked what kind of bird ,,,,,, if seagull there's a strong smell of fish in the a/c afterwards !

rgds condor .
Dodo, T6Harvard, StratoTramp and 1 others liked this
Harry.Brown wrote:Using ‘ Sterile Cockpit’ philosophy in the ATZ minimises distraction.

The video caused me to reassess the definition of sterile. I'd think the probability that most would have considered his cockpit sterile on that particular approach, is high. :wink:
Iceman liked this
By IainD
Great video and really watchable and unpatronising..CAA take note.

Love the "keep your head out of your ass" bit , never a truer word.
I
By TopCat
Miscellaneous wrote:
Harry.Brown wrote:Using ‘ Sterile Cockpit’ philosophy in the ATZ minimises distraction.

The video caused me to reassess the definition of sterile. I'd think the probability that most would have considered his cockpit sterile on that particular approach, is high. :wink:

In these days of Covid, I find that a disinfectant wet wipe and some hand gel are all that are needed to ensure a sterile cockpit.

That said, I've always found the latter part of circuits a little boring and an insufficient challenge. Therefore I usually try and beat my Rubik's Cube record (currently 58s, not achieved since my Lower 6th) during the base to final turn, for which the rudder is sufficient.
By NDB_hold
There’s a book from WW1 called 'How to fly a plane.' It's fascinating. In particular I was taken with the fact that turns were made with rudder, and balanced with aileron, not the other way round,,,