Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Ibra
I love his style, the ultimate driver is distraction !

The ultimate killer in recovery is disorientation, one rarely stalls with eyes looking at aircraft nose or instrument, they are usually watching some conflicting bird/traffic or some ground feature under the wings then BANG: by the time they align heads they are still “inside a$$ mode” which usually involve pulling on stick and adding lot of power…

It’s hard to recover from stall/spin and level the wings with the head fixated on something outside: anyone who stalled slippery gliders in strong thermals/ridges while looking at something else can attest how surprised they were when the wings bites, the recovery is easy but still one has to resist wrong inputs while turning their head & yoke at the same time

Also at low level near the ground, some human factors kicks in bellow 500ft agl, the brown part tend to fill the whole picture outside and adds lot to disorientation and the natural urge to pull (it’s real when one does aerobatics at the lowest part of the box, avoiding the ground by pulling has to be resisted, you have to fly horizon, speed and load)

In “training mode”: one is consistently looking at aircraft nose/instruments with half blue/brown outside, that is nowhere near “the real thing” in the circuit, the head will be -45deg pitch/-45deg roll, the wing will be +45deg pitch/+60deg roll with ground everywhere…
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
mick w wrote:I flew from the Leicester ATZ to Newark on Saturday , without using the Stick , the secondary effect of Rudder is roll. :thumright: :wink:

And the landing? Respect if so!!
mick w liked this
By Rob P
Harry.Brown wrote:Must have been a very interesting take off and landing.

"From the ATZ" does not require a take off
Newark doesn't have anywhere for a landing.

Rob P
mick w liked this
By Ibra
Harry.Brown wrote:In my experience too many pilots have only a limited experience of stalling, mainly centred around an unrealistic 1g, power off flapless, pussy stall beneath the Tropopause which they have been expecting for the previous hour

Indeed the training setup is unrealistic to cover all possibilities: one will rarely try intentional stalls near the ground (although they would talk for ages how they would easily recover from them :D ) but that goes gets into trying the curse rather than cure it (a bit like how people crashed more light unpowered twins on engine failures exercises than real ones)

They can try as much training as they want, at the end of the day the responsibility falls back to the pilot to expand their flight enveloppe, especially awareness of “low & slow” handling & picture (&sound), trying some “raw flying” in aerobatics, gliders tailwheel may help one day when they are too busy finding peak EGT or load runway on G1000 MFD or talking to their pax on base leg…the other alternative is “don’t go there” but it’s too simple to work in all situations !
By Mz Hedy
Ibra wrote:
Harry.Brown wrote:In my experience too many pilots have only a limited experience of stalling...

Indeed the training setup is unrealistic to cover all possibilities: one will rarely try intentional stalls near the ground<snip>…the other alternative is “don’t go there” but it’s too simple to work in all situations !

I've long been an advocate of flight simulation for that sort of training. Given the relative cheapness of setting up a moderately realistic (micro)light aircraft simulator nowadays with reasonably accurate behaviour at the edges of the flight envelope, I'm surprised how few schools offer the option.
By Rob P
kanga wrote:RAF Newton no longer available ? :shock: :)

Disused :(

Charlie 66's lovely strip is the closest

Rob P
mick w liked this
By Shoestring Flyer
Rob P wrote:
Harry.Brown wrote:Must have been a very interesting take off and landing.

"From the ATZ" does not require a take off
Newark doesn't have anywhere for a landing.

Rob P

Rectory Farm, approx 2nm W of Newark?