Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I was thinking of visiting Damyn's Hall, and although it's not obvious how up to date their news page is, I notice they stipulate landing fees paid using the Aerops App.

Anyone know anything about using this app? I presume it's legit, but is there anything I should know about it?

The Aerops web site claims quite a number of UK airfields using it, but I've never heard of it.

If there's an alternative, I don't particularly want to give my payment details to Aerops if I'm only ever going to use it at one airfield.

I'd also rather airfields got the whole landing fee, rather than losing a cut to a payment processor.

TIA.
By TopCat
Well I went there today.

It was a bit odd... a couple of microlights flying absolutely humoungous circuits, right over the built-up areas (east of the M25 and only just north of the A13), that the web site says to avoid, and virtually nothing going on at all on the ground.

No one in the cafe, but I eventually found some guys in an office area round the back, that do PPL tuition in a Cub. They offered me a cup of tea and bemoaned the ridiculous circuits flown by the microlights when I queried it, so it wasn't just me.

If you like unmarked 650m strips, it's actually a nice field and I'd definitely go back if there was a bit more going on.

Runway condition was absolutely fine and with a bit of wind straight down 03, I was airborne on departure in a bit less than half of it, which made the rather attention-grabbing power lines in the immediate climbout a complete non-event.

An interesting place, lots of potential, but as I say, a bit odd, today at least.
By TopCat
Reflecting again on the approaches to Damyn's Hall, specifically in the 21 direction, the displaced threshold due to the power lines reduces the 650m considerably, and it's then downhill for most of it.

How important is aiming at the displaced threshold, in anyone's recent experience? Is it just a CYA based on a nominal 3 degree final that no one in their right minds would fly there anyway?

That is, with a nice slow steep approach, is both missing the power lines and landing short straightforward?
By GrahamB
TopCat wrote:Reflecting again on the approaches to Damyn's Hall, specifically in the 21 direction, the displaced threshold due to the power lines reduces the 650m considerably, and it's then downhill for most of it.

How important is aiming at the displaced threshold, in anyone's recent experience? Is it just a CYA based on a nominal 3 degree final that no one in their right minds would fly there anyway?

That is, with a nice slow steep approach, is both missing the power lines and landing short straightforward?

I had no difficulty getting in and out of there in either direction when I did a bit of sporadic weekly commuting to Canary Wharf in the AA5. This was some time back before the runway extension was opened.

It's interesting, as the SkyDemon and Pooley's airfield charts have the threshold marked in different places, and Google Maps appears to align with Pooley's in that there don't appear to be any runway edge markers NE of a given point.

The power lines are not a problem, you just need to know they are there.