Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
We used to live directly under long final for Mildenhall/Lakenheath, (inside the matz) and I think we now live somewhere downwind, I must look it up properly one day.

Love it when you’re in the garden watching something go directly over the house. We see lots!

The Ospreys are usually flown quite leisurely. One was in such a rush the other day that we both stepped out of the kitchen to watch, fastest one I’ve ever seen, low too.

They can go fast when they want to it appears!

I can see it would get old if they were passenger jets, but for me it never gets old.
StratoTramp, Rob P liked this
Cessna571 wrote:We used to live directly under long final for Mildenhall/Lakenheath, (inside the matz) and I think we now live somewhere downwind, I must look it up properly one day.

Adsb Exchange is your friend. The circuit bashers' tracks show up very well

Cessna571 wrote:They can go fast when they want to it appears!

300 knots plus, climb at over 3,000 ft/min

Rob P
By Hooligan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Never seen an Osprey close to, only a pair in the distance following the Thames heli lane in helicopter mode.

I could hear them in Suffolk recently but they were very shy...

CH-53 chat reminds me of an interrupted geography lesson at school when a German pair clattered past at low level, close enough for the "HEER" writ large on the sponson to be clearly visible. On their way to Odiham I should think. They use to do a fairly energetic display at shows, then land and drop the ramp and a bloke would cycle out and off down the runway. I'd like to suggest he would be wearing Lederhosen and a Tyrolean hat but that would probably be a fabrication...
Rob P, StratoTramp liked this
condor17 wrote:As it used to be said in the 80s , especially in Berlin before the wall came down ..

''Jet noise , The sound of Freedom ''

rgds condor .

When I was there I appreciated the noise of the Gatow Deterrent aka 2 Chipmunks :wink:
StratoTramp, Rob P, condor17 liked this
By skydriller
condor17 wrote:As it used to be said in the 80s , especially in Berlin before the wall came down .. ''Jet noise , The sound of Freedom ''

Well, I certainly remember the phrase as late as the 90s Airshows, even got the Tshirt, as a kid.... but not convinced that it was said in Berlin itself...pretty sure most of the military jet noise in the 80s would have been from the other side :eye:
skydriller wrote:..not convinced that it was said in Berlin itself...pretty sure most of the military jet noise in the 80s would have been from the other side :eye:

Indeed, Activity from a number of FJ airfields of the 'Air Force of the Group of Soviet Forces in Germany' were regularly audible from within the Western Sectors. Having said that, the BEA 1-11-500s and PanAm early 727s (Tempelhof), and AF Caravelles (Tegel) could be pretty noisy :wink:
condor17, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By PeteSpencer
A former colleague of mine who was operating at Wayland Hospital Attleborough in the late 70s was suddenly startled by a low flying Warthog from Bentwaters which flew over the hospital at zero feet.
It made her jump so much she dropped the knife into the patient .

Fortunately it fell onto a surgical pack: no harm done and said scalpel was rapidly retrieved .

When she phoned the base to complain the RAF liaison officer put her through to US station ops commander .

“Ahm so sorry, ma’am, that you were startled, but remember whenever you hear that sound you’re listening to the sound….”. yeah you guessed :lol:

I used to love seeing the A10 lazily wheeling in pairs low in the Norfolk skies . Duffields Mill at Newton Flotman on the A140 was right next to our house and was an IP for many of their exercises- they were so low you could clearly see their sunnies /visors glinting in the sun :wink:
Skydriller , 'fraid it was said in Berlin ... We had 10 jets and 4 t/props based in Tegel , plus PanAm , and Air France , Dan-Air .
Standard ops in good wx on 26 , was join downwind LH pattern. Approaching downwind at 3000' and 320 kts , trick was to close throtts at correct moment , descending , slowing , aim at goalposts [ Berlin Interconti hotel ] , which took you up the Ku'Damm , past Zoo , dropping gear and flap as necessary , turning finals at 3- 4 nm , inside the 'Onion' [ in the East ] , opening throtts at 1000' final.
If not lucky , speedbrakes needed pronto , or go outside the Onion .
Thus lots of Speys , JT8-15s , Darts or PWC127s jet/T/Prop noise over city centre .
Pink Floyds 'The Wall' concert , summer '90 in [ I think ] Potsdammer Platz had 200000-300000 people attending whilst in the summer dark a PanAm 727 turned low base with everything hanging out lit by a searchlight , and preceded by a lit AAC Gazelle hovering over the foam wall . Both were noisy , I did not have electric ear plugs then , but need them now .
For more than 40 yrs Berlin kept open by the air corridors . Even 'til the '90s , UK had 2 RAF crews trained up on 737s , every 3 months would do Sim training followed by 2 days cct bashing at Gatow , and some supernumary line flights up and down the corridors .
In the event of tension , civi crews and pax would get off , and RAF crews fly empty civi jets to keep corridors open . Until the end , 'buzzing' by eastern block Migs would happen one 500' ft above , another 500' below flying across you in the corridors .
2 years after wall down , no LH vis ccts ... RH big radar pattern over countryside of the East .

PS
,''''' I used to love seeing the A10 lazily wheeling in pairs low in the Norfolk skies . Duffields Mill at Newton Flotman on the A140 was right next to our house and was an IP for many of their exercises- they were so low you could clearly see their sunnies /visors glinting in the sun ''''

Didn't know you were a Naarfick 'Boi. 'Fraid I'm a Caistor St Edmunds lad , but know Duffields at NF . '80s having a pint with dad at the Kestrel ? now Countryman A140 by Tasburgh . A pair of A10s flew up the valley underneath us .... and that for others , is in flat Norfolk where I went to the High[est] School in the county [ Poringland ]...80' AMSL .
Was not Approved 'tho .

rgds condor .
TrickyWoo, kanga liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:A former colleague of mine who was operating at Wayland Hospital Attleborough in the late 70s was suddenly startled by a low flying Warthog from Bentwaters which flew over the hospital at zero feet.
It made her jump so much she dropped the knife into the patient .

Something similar happened at Addenbrooke's in the 1980's when the A-10's used to hoon around at low level around Cambridge; one flew past the windows of the hospital below roof height, and an elderly patient who was sat on a commode fell off it in shock :shock:
Iceman, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
As a boy in the mid 1960's we lived in Dayton Ohio (my father was part of the RAF detachment working on the ill fated F111 purchase).

Our apartment (luxury by British standards of the 60's) was in line with Wright Patterson main runway, so we had waves of B52's and their support tankers thundering over head day and night as the SAC crews set off, or returned from, their turn-back points at the edge of Russian airspace. Quite thrilling to a 9 year old air mad boy, less appreciated by the other residents I suspect!

We had constant drills at school of what to do in case of a Russian strike and the apartment block had a supposed shelter in the basement - although what use they would have been living so close to a prime target for a nuclear strike I don't know! So the message that heavy jets were "the sound of freedom" was well reinforced!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Korenwolf wrote:Something similar happened at Addenbrooke's in the 1980's when the A-10's used to hoon around at low level around Cambridge; one flew past the windows of the hospital below roof height, and an elderly patient who was sat on a commode fell off it in shock :shock:

Instructing on a range at St Athan, the 'rock' in charge told us he had a close encounter with an A10 at Catterick which flew through the danger area.
The rock fired a red verey flare at it. He said 'I'm sure he saw it, I saw it bounce off his canopy.'
Flyin'Dutch' liked this