Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Listening to a Brize controller warning an aircraft today, that although the aircraft was not in the Fairford ATZ, it would be unwise to be in the MATZ over the next couple of months without talking to someone first; “you wouldn’t want to come head to head with a B1” :D. MATZ activated by NOTAM. I look forward to seeing the B1 pictures.

Iceman 8)
StratoTramp liked this
By PeteSpencer
For the past week Lakenheath, Mildenhall and particularly Wattisham have been active H24.(Notamed and notified on local social media feeds, so can't complain).

Seems every bit of grey/olive drab tin has been airborne over us: Never seen so many Jolly Green Giants idly circling overhead.

Hoping for a peaceful few nights next week, :shock:
PeteSpencer wrote: Never seen so many Jolly Green Giants idly circling overhead

Wow! I thought they'd been retired years back.

Rob P
PeteSpencer liked this
By PeteSpencer
skydriller wrote:Perhaps refering to the various developements of the original CH53 'super' jollies?

Could be: they all look the same to me: ‘kin huge , loiter in pairs in circles for hours and with a noise footprint that lasts for ever.

Unlike the Watt Apaches that are gone in a flash. :wink:

Can’t say that in the 38 years I’ve lived directly under the downwind leg for 25 at MLD I’ve paid much attention to the finer details of aircraft appearance as they pass overhead . :wink:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
By StratoTramp
johnm wrote:Pretty ironic given COP 26 really :roll:

What's ironic is that we are a minescule amount of global emissions and China, India and Russia are not attending whilst we self-flagellate and impoverish ourselves. COP26 will achieve nothing on a global scale. Thw whole idea is an ironic joke we are playing on ourselves.

B1s are cool can't see they are related to the above. Not sure what the mission would be other than showing force :thumleft:

I'm hoping to get over that way so this is useful information I maybe don't want to get into a tangle with them solo nav :lol: and cause an international incident :oops:
Last edited by StratoTramp on Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Iceman, T6Harvard liked this
skydriller wrote:Perhaps refering to the various developements of the original CH53 'super' jollies?

That could well be. My knowledge of eggbeaters is negligible. We used to have Pave Hawks at The Hall, but I think the Ospreys chased them away.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
It's quite common for Lakenheath/Mildenhall to host stuff from the NATO bases in Germany and Italy, so I would go with that as the answer. Regrettably none of them have so far headed my way. OK, I know they are flingwings, but you can have enough of endless F-15s. However huge excitement now for the arrival of the F-35s, tempered with some concern about the noise levels - we can hear the RAF version at Marham (when they aren't bobbing around on the ocean) and that's over ten miles away.

Rob P