Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By lobstaboy
Rob Holmes wrote:It's good to share, especially in a small community like aviation with our airfields being closed down one by one by greedy property developers. If you only want to keep quiet airfields to yourself, then will you also cover all their costs to ensure they stick around for other pilots to enjoy, or will you just moan when it gets shut down? :)
)

Of course sharing is good, and if you read these forums for a while you'll find lots of recommendations and glowing reports of trips and destinations. You just need to do a bit of digging for yourself.

My experience from running a small business in aviation was that I'd get calls and emails from publishers and website people which boiled down to,"We're publishing a list of top businesses in your field and would like to include you in our listing. Would you be happy with that?... ...You would? Oh that's great! We will need to make a small admin charge of £100 to include you.... .....Oh dear, you don't want to be included then? There's no need to be rude."
By Rob Holmes
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm sorry to hear your experiences have lead you to distrust anyone new, but I don't agree that my request for help was the same as some hidden agenda to charge you money, or to get everyone else doing the hard work digging.

Hopefully one day you will see some positives in what I hope to achieve. :)
By kanga
Rob L wrote:.. "what was the ideal aeroplane". Many opinions abounded: ..; the same could be said for airfields :) .

and both could vary over time, both for the aircraft/airfield and for the opiner :)

[in my case, for most of my active flying decades: 'anything accessible, available and affordable at that time in my working and budgetary life' and 'Staverton in the MP3 era' :? ]
Rob L liked this
By Rob Holmes
seanxair wrote:So @Rob Holmes - where do you fly from? Tell us more about your flying perhaps?

Thanks for asking Sean. I currently fly a Kitfox mk2 from Popham. I try to make YouTube videos about flying when I can, but mostly just like to fly low and slow enjoying scenery and sharing flying with friends. Love flying to farm strips and small airfields, or just getting in the air when I can for a small bimble! :)
seanxair liked this
By lobstaboy
malcolmfrost wrote:Why are people getting so uptight about such a small thing? If you don't want to contribute, don't, if you don't want to use it, carry on trawling through forums, Pooleys, Afe and websites.
Why is the assumption that anyone trying to do something different is for personal enrichment?

Nobody has assumed it's for personal enrichment. We have not been told what it's for. It would actually be easier to provide the information wanted if we did know what it's for. Just asking for suggestions for amazing airfields is silly - as has been pointed out - it's meaningless without a few pointers from the OP as to what he wants.
And airfields themselves are pretty dull places - they need exciting based aeroplanes or good cake, as many threads on here testify.
Location can be important if you want to visit a place, but that doesn't make the airfield amazing itself.
By TheFarmer
What’s the problem with some people here? If you don’t like the question, just don’t answer, and maybe don’t assume someone is up to no good?

@Rob Holmes is a chap who’s known in aviation, respected, and part of the Kitfox UK Facebook group.

Oh, and something he does do, which many don’t here, is actually go flying. :roll:
By malcolmfrost
lobstaboy wrote:My experience from running a small business in aviation was that I'd get calls and emails from publishers and website people which boiled down to,"We're publishing a list of top businesses in your field and would like to include you in our listing. Would you be happy with that?... ...You would? Oh that's great! We will need to make a small admin charge of £100 to include you.... .....Oh dear, you don't want to be included then? There's no need to be rude."
By mick w
Rob L wrote:I spent a pleasant afternoon over the last weekend at my local flying club discussing "what was the ideal aeroplane". Many opinions abounded: (number of seats, speed, range, endurance, aerobatic, short-field, tailwheel, visibilty, age, maintenance cost, fuel cost, etc etc etc.)

All of us agreed to disagree; the same could be said for airfields :) .

I bet it was that lovely little Thruster that initiated the discussion ??. :lol:
By Rob L
mick w wrote:
Rob L wrote:I spent a pleasant afternoon over the last weekend at my local flying club discussing "what was the ideal aeroplane". Many opinions abounded: (number of seats, speed, range, endurance, aerobatic, short-field, tailwheel, visibilty, age, maintenance cost, fuel cost, etc etc etc.)

All of us agreed to disagree; the same could be said for airfields :) .

I bet it was that lovely little Thruster that initiated the discussion ??. :lol:

No, my friend, it was not (it was a different afternoon [but good to see you the day before] and it was about C180 and Piper Comanche and RV6 vs RV8, etc :) )...but the same argument still applies. As I say: agree to disagree :thumleft:
mick w liked this
By johnm
The trouble is one pilot's amazing airfield is another pilot's muddy field :-)

Also the UK is a small island so we need a list for Europe as well.