Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:(Though I would question the use of shortened call signs in an anonymous and unknown environment)

:scratch:

I don't follow that line of reasoning

If I arrive at Mudtown Smallstrip and their A/G is not operating that day, what benefit is it to the other traffic if the know the first three letter of my callsign are Golf, Bravo Zulu?

Rob P

If there are several aircraft on frequency making traffic calls, and I hear one apparently in my close vicinity, it makes it a lot easier to query the aeroplane who may be a safety threat to me (and I to them) if I can ask by callsign.

G
By PaulisHome
PeteSpencer wrote:
But you're completely ignoring the guy who is not from your airfield , is approaching and may be visiting or just wanting to pass through your overhead and wants to alert peeps in the circuit of his presence.
Call it situational awareness for want of any other term.

Its analogous to a 'first contact' and if he were talking to ATC they would both use full callsign initially,.

No I'm not - that's precisely what I'm thinking of. I'm saying there's no value in using the full callsign (well, very little). If you want to do it on first call OK, if you must, but not thereafter.

One of the things I do is fly gliders and tugs at a gliding airfield with its own frequency. Occasionally we get a call from someone going past, as you describe, and sometimes I'm the person who responds. Since I don't have a pen and paper to hand if I'm in a tug or a glider, then a short callsign is much easier to remember and respond to than a long one.

And even if someone uses a full callsign on first contact, it makes everyone's life easier if they use a shortened one thereafter.

Another thing I do is fly power from an airfield that doesn't have ATC at weekends. There are two types of call that I hear.

1. "Anytown Traffic Golf Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta Downwind Runway 23 Anytown" and
2. "Golf Charlie Delta Downwind 23"

I suggest (2) has exactly as much useful information as (1).

Paul
By Dave W
Generally agree, Paul - except please do close with the airfield name as I may have missed it first time or it might be clipped. Both very common.

Also, at a SafetyCom field I'm not that interested in people passing by at 2000 ft.
By PeteSpencer
This thread sure is taking pedantry and obfuscation to a new level:

Does anybody really give a fliegende farke about the extra 500 milliseconds it takes to transmit two extra letters of a callsign or the word 'traffic'? :lol:
By PaulisHome
malcolmfrost wrote:Unless you happen to be in the circuit at Othertown 50 miles away!

Dave W wrote:Generally agree, Paul - except please do close woth the airfield name as I may have missed it first time or it might be clipped. Both very common.

We're not talking about shared frequencies here, but airfields with their own. So you don't need the airfield name at the end (and don't use it if an ATSU is there).

PeteSpencer wrote:Does anybody really give a fliegende farke about the extra 500 milliseconds it takes to transmit two extra letters of a callsign or the word 'traffic'?.

Except it's not an extra 500 mS - it's making the call twice as long.

Paul
By PeteSpencer
PaulisHome wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Does anybody really give a fliegende farke about the extra 500 milliseconds it takes to transmit two extra letters of a callsign or the word 'traffic'?.

Paul

Really? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wall:

Let’s talk about kneeboards :wink: :wink:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Rob P
Rob P wrote:If I arrive at Mudtown Smallstrip and their A/G is not operating that day, what benefit is it to the other traffic if the know the first three letter of my callsign are Golf, Bravo Zulu?

PeteSpencer wrote:Feel free to do your own thing, Rob -it's a free country. :lol:

I'll take that as "None that I can think of"

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
Rob P wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:feel free to do your own thing, Rob -it's a free country. :lol:

I'll take that as "None that I can think of"

Rob P

Like I said:

'feel free to do your own thing, Rob -it's a free country. :lol'
By PaulisHome
PeteSpencer wrote:
PaulisHome wrote:

Paul

Yes - see from earlier
1. "Anytown Traffic Golf Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta Downwind Runway 23 Anytown" and

Any specific bit, not long. All together, twice as long.

Paul
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
PaulisHome wrote:Another thing I do is fly power from an airfield that doesn't have ATC at weekends. There are two types of call that I hear.

If I tune un and hear 1, I think it's blind transmissions, if I hear 2 I think there's someone to talk to,

Ian
Iceman liked this
PaulisHome wrote:
Yes - see from earlier
Paul

If Anytown is so busy that the 5 second top and tailed RW23 transmission is too long, I'll naff orf and land at Quiet Town.
;-)
Last edited by Straight Level on Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteSpencer liked this
By rogerb
Dave W wrote:Generally agree, Paul - except please do close woth the airfield name as I may have missed it first time or it might be clipped. Both very common.

Also, at a SafetyCom field I'm not that interested in people passing by at 2000 ft.

presume agl :-)
By PeteSpencer
PaulisHome wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:
PaulisHome wrote:

Paul

Yes - see from earlier

Paul

Ah, so you're one of these awkward chaps who refuse to top and tail, the very purpose of most of this thread, sacrificing situational awareness , accuracy and safety for speed. :roll:
mick w liked this