Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TLRippon
As much as Sywell has a cafe ( whether or not it is basic is another issue). It also has an hotel with a proper sit down restaurant where you can have a three course meal and a bar with a reasonable bar food menu.
Stampe liked this
By vintage ATCO
I did A/G there the other week for the Air Race Training Camp but the airfield was closed 09-18L to other aircraft. At 18L the RT lit up with traffic joining using Sywell Traffic, seemed to work. We had Wednesday off when other aircraft flew, using Sywell Traffic on their usual frequency.

I know nothing about the usual PPR arrangements.
By Skylaunch2
Iceman wrote:What’s stopping them putting in A/G in the meantime, or preferably, nothing at all, and just letting the pilots do their own thing in a Safetycom fashion ?

Iceman 8)

Safetycom style "Sywell Traffic" is what is used 99% of the time currently, works well.

The issue is the PPR Approval process and the threats of being banned from flying in again if you don't get the formal approval in writing. Supposedly there was some internal dispute with the FISOs that has lead to this. Very sad.
By PaulisHome
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PeteSpencer wrote:
Such calls should be made on the published frequency to " (Name of airfield) Traffic": even better if calls are topped and tailed.

Peter. :wink:

Pet grievance of mine (sorry).

Why the last bit? I understand the argument for topping and tailing calls on Safetycom - it's not clear which airfield you're talking about otherwise. But for somewhere with a discrete frequency, it's just pointless verbiage. Use "(Name of airfield) Traffic" on the first call, then keep it short. (Nor do you need full callsigns.)

There's a basic principle in RT which is to say what you need to say in the shortest way possible.

Paul
By PeteSpencer
PaulisHome wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:
Such calls should be made on the published frequency to " (Name of airfield) Traffic": even better if calls are topped and tailed.

Peter. :wink:

Pet grievance of mine (sorry).

Why the last bit? I understand the argument for topping and tailing calls on Safetycom - it's not clear which airfield you're talking about otherwise. But for somewhere with a discrete frequency, it's just pointless verbiage. Use "(Name of airfield) Traffic" on the first call, then keep it short. (Nor do you need full callsigns.)

There's a basic principle in RT which is to say what you need to say in the shortest way possible.

Paul

You're right of course but my life's too short to care about other people's pet grievances :lol:
(Though I would question the use of shortened call signs in an anonymous and unknown environment) :wink:
By PaulisHome
PeteSpencer wrote:
You're right of course but my life's too short to care about other people's pet grievances :lol:
(Though I would question the use of shortened call signs in an anonymous and unknown environment) :wink:

Well fair enough on the grievance.

But I'd argue that I don't really care about the full callsign of someone at the same airfield as me - just that they're there. Shortened callsign is perfectly adequate, and perhaps more effective since it's easier to remember.

Paul
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
PeteSpencer wrote:(Though I would question the use of shortened call signs in an anonymous and unknown environment)

:scratch:

I don't follow that line of reasoning

If I arrive at Mudtown Smallstrip and their A/G is not operating that day, what benefit is it to the other traffic if the know the first three letter of my callsign are Golf, Bravo Zulu?

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
PaulisHome wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:

But I'd argue that I don't really care about the full callsign of someone at the same airfield as me - just that they're there. Shortened callsign is perfectly adequate, and perhaps more effective since it's easier to remember.

Paul

But you're completely ignoring the guy who is not from your airfield , is approaching and may be visiting or just wanting to pass through your overhead and wants to alert peeps in the circuit of his presence.
Call it situational awareness for want of any other term.

Its analogous to a 'first contact' and if he were talking to ATC they would both use full callsign initially,.
By PeteSpencer
Rob P wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:(Though I would question the use of shortened call signs in an anonymous and unknown environment)

:scratch:

I don't follow that line of reasoning

If I arrive at Mudtown Smallstrip and their A/G is not operating that day, what benefit is it to the other traffic if the know the first three letter of my callsign are Golf, Bravo Zulu?

Rob P

Feel free to do your own thing, Rob -it's a free country. :lol:
By Sooty25
PaulisHome wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:

Paul

I'd prefer to hear type and shortened call sign, "Cherokee Charlie Delta" tells me what to look for and an idea of performance, Golf, Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta, could be a flexwing or a learjet.
Rob P, TopCat, Rich V liked this